Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-21-15 3:58AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Cooler Fall Days

Just signals the beginning of hunting season.  Thought I'd poke everyone in the eye a little to remind us of the great days ahead in the field.  Remember to take your camera, enjoy the little things, pack a lunch, and a lot of patience.  Most of all, be safe!

#2 Sep-21-15 1:45PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Cooler Fall Days

Hopefully I'll get in my first hunt this year.  The girlfriend's family's farm isn't getting logged for walnut trees this year.  And now her crossbow is legal for hunting, WV just made it legal this year.

#3 Sep-21-15 5:01PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Surely ranks right up there as one of my favorite times of the year. Labor Day is the end of summer for most of the big cabin cruisers. They pull them and put them on blocks till spring. Hunters go hunting, another user group off the water. Blue crabs are finished shedding for the year, so they just eat and store fat for the winter. Best steamed crabs of the year with fewer people eating them, so the price comes down. Another win - win. Oyster season comes in and lasts through the R months. No raw for me, but love them steamed or fried. Best of all the fish go on a feeding frenzy through the fall, and there are fewer people after them. Great times ahead till its too cold for Ernie, then there's just football playoffs to hold us over till the fishing shows and flea markets. Wonder where the Redskins will be for Christmas.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#4 Sep-21-15 5:23PM

Ernie
Administrator

Osprey wrote:

Surely ranks right up there as one of my favorite times of the year. Labor Day is the end of summer for most of the big cabin cruisers. They pull them and put them on blocks till spring. Hunters go hunting, another user group off the water. Blue crabs are finished shedding for the year, so they just eat and store fat for the winter. Best steamed crabs of the year with fewer people eating them, so the price comes down. Another win - win. Oyster season comes in and lasts through the R months. No raw for me, but love them steamed or fried. Best of all the fish go on a feeding frenzy through the fall, and there are fewer people after them. Great times ahead till its too cold for Ernie, then there's just football playoffs to hold us over till the fishing shows and flea markets. Wonder where the Redskins will be for Christmas.

Classic read!!😂

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Sep-22-15 8:25AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

For me, the fall repesents the change of the photo period that triggers the small mouth to start feeding heavily for the winter months ahead.

That's been true the last few times I've been out.  Fish are getting fatter, and the bigger ones more aggressive.

Water's low, so they are stack up in certain areas.  You can paddle through allot of unproductive water to get to the prime area's now.  Kinda like fishing in a bucket.

Fall's the time the throw the tackle box at them, well, what's in the tackle box because once you find that magic bait, the fishing turns on strong.

#6 Sep-22-15 10:02AM

Ernie
Administrator

For me, the fall marks the onset of winter. I hate Sep. 22. The days are shorter and the cold weather starts creeping in. Already wore a long sleeve shirt for my lunchtime bike ride.

But, I will fish in the cold until that day that my body says, "enough already". That's usually mid December.

Time to start making plans to visit my mom a few times!!

#7 Sep-28-15 10:36AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie - buy some polypropelene long underwear and some polartec shirts & pull overs.  Match that up with gorex, and you'll catch a 20 floating the rivers.

Said this CA boy.

#8 Sep-28-15 12:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

hookup wrote:

Ernie - buy some polypropelene long underwear and some polartec shirts & pull overs.  Match that up with gorex, and you'll catch a 20 floating the rivers.

I have all of this and then more.....but NO way I am going out on a yak when the water is below 60 something.

Not as hot in CA as in Cuba! Heck, I stop biking outside when the temps get in the low 60's. And yes, I have been called a cold weather wimp and I gladly accept it!

#9 Sep-29-15 3:36AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Don't force us to start calling you a snowbird!  On a side note, I've noticed a lot of battery operated heaters lately (socks, gloves)....maybe it's a warning.

#10 Jan-03-17 6:05AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

My hunting year has resulted without a deer in the freezer for the first time in a long time.  But, I wouldn't change anything.  I spent quality time with my nephews and family, stood up two new tree stands, enjoyed the beauty of the morning sunrise, and endured high winds and rain for most of those days. 
I look forward to next year with a focus on archery and blackpowder.  Now back to fishing!

Board footer