Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-04-16 5:50AM

Aches n Pains
Northern Snakehead

Best fishing pages

Well, I'm  less than thrilled with Tidal Fisherman so I'm looking for suggestions on other sites for good information on local fishing (bay, rivers, etc.). 

Other than Pacemaker, of course, does anybody have sites they use regularly?

Thanks,

Doug

#2 Dec-04-16 6:13AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Best fishing pages

Technical Fisherman is ok but fairly quiet. PRAC used to be great but very quiet now.  River Smallies is pretty good but very little salt.

Lost of folks now use Facebook, Twitter  and Instagram but you have to wade through all of the BS to get to the fishing.  We have digital overload today.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Dec-04-16 5:17PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Reminds of a song..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwuy4hHO3YQ

I am still setting up my myspace account..LOL.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#4 Dec-04-16 6:02PM

Ernie
Administrator

Capt. Mike....that song!  Wow!

Doug- glad you brought this up. Overall, most forums are down in participation. This one included. Very few people comment anymore yet alone post fishing reports.

My forum and domain renewal is coming up (takes a few pennies) and I was thinking of letting it lapse. Either that or I get the whole thing redesigned but I am not sure I have the energy for that especially since there are no advertisers (revenue generators). That's by choice.

I suppose we can start closed FB groups for different types/places of fishing. I "follow" certain guides and folks that I know that fish but even there, the FB BS comes in to play. What a PIA. I "unfollow" 4-5 times more people than I follow.

So? What do we do?

#5 Dec-05-16 4:25AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Keep your website!!!

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#6 Dec-05-16 6:34AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

I don't have FB so I vote for this wonderful site! Sorry I haven't been fishing much tongue

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#7 Dec-05-16 6:42AM

Ernie
Administrator

firemunkee wrote:

Sorry I haven't been fishing much tongue

You are excused!! You sleeping yet?

#8 Dec-05-16 6:54AM

Ernie
Administrator

I forgot to mention a good yak site: http://www.snaggedline.com/forum.php

#9 Dec-05-16 7:11AM

Aches n Pains
Northern Snakehead

Ernie,

I check this site every day and find it very informative.  Fishing reports but also lots of good tips and suggestions.

Not sure what changes you anticipate but would be happy to discuss if that would be helpful.

On the financial front, I would certainly kick in to support the site and I suspect many of the other guys would as well.

It's a great site, Ernie.  Would hate to see it lapse.

Doug

#10 Dec-05-16 8:32AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

To be honest, I post very little in the way of freshwater reports because I worry about lurkers. Most of the lakes and rivers I fish are small, public, and already receive all the pressure they can handle.

I really enjoy this site and hope you keep it going Ernie. As someone who likes fishing for just about everything, I like how it's not geared towards just one species or one style of angling.

As to the original question, I also belong to a private forum that focuses on the Delmarva area. It's pretty active and there are a lot of good members.

tight lines

#11 Dec-05-16 10:25AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

I forgot to mention a good yak site: http://www.snaggedline.com/forum.php

I second this.

Ernie wrote:

firemunkee wrote:

Sorry I haven't been fishing much tongue

You are excused!! You sleeping yet?

I was, but my daughter's sleep pattern has regressed, like how many have warned would happen lol

Last edited by firemunkee (Dec-05-16 10:26AM)

#12 Dec-05-16 2:02PM

Ernie
Administrator

JR and I have talked about making some changes...to modernize the site. Money is not much of an issue. We want to make sure we can keep the historical but not sure if that matters much. It is nice to look back to see what we did on a certain date etc.

I understand spot burning and respect that. But I do know that I (we) like the variety of reports.....with pictures. And the variety is also nice. I appreciate all of the reports.

#13 Dec-06-16 9:42AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

I actually use the historical part of the Forum.................For one, determining the timing of a upcoming spring crappie spawn.

#14 Dec-06-16 3:19PM

Ernie
Administrator

Curly wrote:

I actually use the historical part of the Forum.................For one, determining the timing of a upcoming spring crappie spawn.

Thus, the dilemma. If we upgrade to a more user friendly forum (picture uploading, like how you do at social media, as an example), we may lose the historical. I can't run two Forums.

I suspect that some folks don't post pictures because they can't (easily) off their phone. Using social media, it's an easy upload from a PC or phone.

#15 Dec-06-16 4:05PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Well, there is always the "Way Back Machine" big_smile ..............if anyone on this Forum knows what that is for old internet posts...........

#16 Dec-06-16 8:04PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

I try my best to post pictures because it makes a report that much better, but in general I find posting pictures is a hassle having to upload to some image hosting site. It would be convenient if you could upload directly to the forum. That being said though I also appreciate the history held in this forum. I wouldn't stop posting pictures here either way. If Curly can use his magically way back machine then we'd be set smile

#17 Dec-07-16 11:26AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

firemunkee wrote:

I try my best to post pictures because it makes a report that much better, but in general I find posting pictures is a hassle having to upload to some image hosting site. It would be convenient if you could upload directly to the forum. That being said though I also appreciate the history held in this forum. I wouldn't stop posting pictures here either way. If Curly can use his magically way back machine then we'd be set smile

full forum as of April 23, 2016.......no updates/snapshots since...........

https://web.archive.org/web/20160423224 … /index.php

#18 Dec-07-16 12:16PM

Ernie
Administrator

??

#19 Dec-07-16 3:07PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Wow I never knew about that O_o

#20 Dec-07-16 4:52PM

Ernie
Administrator

Can you guys not talk in code and explain this? I get it that someone can archive the forum. Are you going to share with others if asked (if we loose history)?

#21 Dec-07-16 6:01PM

Aches n Pains
Northern Snakehead

I bookmark a lot of the "tip" type posts and those bookmarks wouldn't work with the archive.  I can always do a search.

Everything is a tradeoff so I guess ease of putting up pictures is a pretty big deal.

Last edited by Aches n Pains (Dec-07-16 6:02PM)

#22 Dec-07-16 8:28PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Can you guys not talk in code and explain this? I get it that someone can archive the forum. Are you going to share with others if asked (if we loose history)?

It seems like Way Back Machine creates full archives of a website such that you can navigate it fully based on the snapshots that are created.

I don't know how it works. Based on how they describe themselves I'm guessing it downloads and stores everything needed to recreate the webpage. For example, say a post from February 29, 2000 had pictures and those pictures are stored on a picture hosting website called "Foo Pictures". The pictures will show up on the post as long as "Foo Pictures" is in good standings. But if "Foo Pictures" goes bankrupt and shuts down, then the pictures in the Feb 29 post will no longer be seen. BUT if the forum was backed up (i.e. archived) on the Way Back Machine on March 1 and before "Foo Pictures" went offline. If you visit that March 1 archive and navigate to the Feb 29 post then you would still be able to see all the pictures!

So in theory if you plan on modernizing this website on January 1, 2017, you can archive it with the Way Back machine on 11:59pm Dec 31, 2016 and have access to the full history of pacemakerfishing. The caveat is if Way Back Machine ever shutsdown then we will lose the archive.

That's my understanding of it, but it seems like Curly would be more familiar wink

#23 Dec-08-16 6:01AM

Ernie
Administrator

Thanks JC, I had never heard of it before (not a digital techie nor want to be).

I just renewed the domain name so we will let this roll as is for now. If it (forum host) goes under, that will be the end of it.

#24 Dec-08-16 9:46AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Long live pacemakerfishing!

#25 Dec-08-16 2:28PM

bassman
Northern Snakehead

Yay!  Keep the site Ernie!