Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-28-16 1:45PM

RyanK

Looking For Bait Casting Rod & Reel

I am looking for a cheaper bait casting rod & reel to learn with. I do not want to go out and spend big money on a good rod & reel to mess it up. If there is anyone willing to sell a set up to me that would be great. If not advice on a set up that is not to much for me to learn on.
Thank you!

Always lookin to go fishin!

#2 Apr-28-16 1:57PM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Looking For Bait Casting Rod & Reel

Be careful going "cheaper" on a reel. I'm afraid if you go bargain basement you'll get discouraged and give up trying. A baitcast reel with no braking features is a backlash waiting to happen. Good luck Ryan.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#3 Apr-28-16 2:00PM

RyanK

Osprey wrote:

Be careful going "cheaper" on a reel. I'm afraid if you go bargain basement you'll get discouraged and give up trying. A baitcast reel with no braking features is a backlash waiting to happen. Good luck Ryan.

Yea that is what I have heard. I do not mean one like $20. But if I could get one around $120-$150 or is that still a little to low?

#4 Apr-28-16 3:03PM

Ernie
Administrator

There are plenty of nice used reels to be had out there. One of my best sources is:http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/forum/18-fishing-flea-market/

That Lews Speed Spool Tournament  looks good.

Just be patient.

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Apr-28-16 3:38PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Left or right hand retrieve?

#6 Apr-28-16 4:01PM

RyanK

Thai wrote:

Left or right hand retrieve?

I do not know which I would rather or if it is a big difference from spinning. With my spinning rod it is a left hand retrieve if that helps lol

#7 Apr-28-16 4:11PM

RyanK

Ernie wrote:

There are plenty of nice used reels to be had out there. One of my best sources is:http://www.bassresource.com/bass-fishing-forums/forum/18-fishing-flea-market/

That Lews Speed Spool Tournament  looks good.

Just be patient.

Sweet thanks a lot! Yea I am not in a super rush to get one just if the right deal comes around.

#8 Apr-28-16 4:30PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

A Daiwa Laguna and aird rod will set you back 120$ or so new from tackle warehouse. It's a solid rig that can handle lots of different applications. I'd recommend the 7' MH or 7'3" if you want to try some frogs this year too! No.8 tackle hellbent rod is also worth a look if you like more traditional cork handle rods. Try them out and once you get comfortable and want to dive into higher end the sky is the limit!

Oh and don't forget line! I rec 20lb Daiwa j braid and you can tie a flouro leader for more finesse applications.

Last edited by Thai (Apr-28-16 4:40PM)

#9 Apr-28-16 6:08PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Lews are nice and pretty easy to use.

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#10 Apr-29-16 5:46AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Ryan - Ernie sold me a Shimano bait casting reel a while ago.  Give him $40 for his Wounded Warriors fund drive & its yours.  It's still in the same great shape it was in when he sold it to me a couple years ago.

#11 Apr-29-16 6:10AM

RyanK

Thai wrote:

A Daiwa Laguna and aird rod will set you back 120$ or so new from tackle warehouse. It's a solid rig that can handle lots of different applications. I'd recommend the 7' MH or 7'3" if you want to try some frogs this year too! No.8 tackle hellbent rod is also worth a look if you like more traditional cork handle rods. Try them out and once you get comfortable and want to dive into higher end the sky is the limit!

Oh and don't forget line! I rec 20lb Daiwa j braid and you can tie a flouro leader for more finesse applications.

Thank you! I was actually looking at the No.8 Black out rod as well 7ft MH.

#12 Apr-29-16 6:16AM

RyanK

hookup wrote:

Ryan - Ernie sold me a Shimano bait casting reel a while ago.  Give him $40 for his Wounded Warriors fund drive & its yours.  It's still in the same great shape it was in when he sold it to me a couple years ago.

Do you know which Shimano reel it is? I was already thinking about donating to help out anyways lol.

#13 Apr-29-16 7:28AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

RyanK wrote:

Thai wrote:

Thank you! I was actually looking at the No.8 Black out rod as well 7ft MH.

If you're considering the blackout, spend a little extra money and look at 13 fishing omen 2 rods. They are from
The same company but higher end and hard to beat for the money. I have 500$ rods but I pick up my 120$ omens more often!

#14 Apr-29-16 7:52AM

KevinJ
Northern Snakehead

I've got a number of older baitcasters and several rods that I could sell you.  The TDX baitcaster (right hand retrieve) was originally purchased for $210.  It's not worth anything near that anymore.  I've also got a St. Croix Mojo bass rod that has just a small bit of finish flaked off but doesn't impact performance at all.  Probably a good combo to learn with.  Send me a message if you're interested.

#15 Apr-29-16 12:27PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm all about inexpensive gear.  I'm using a Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier with a 7' medium UglyStik.  This reel works really well, always gets good reviews.
These reels retail for $100 normally.  But they're on sale often, especially in February during the Fishing Classic sale.  I got mine a year ago then and it was between $60-80.

#16 Apr-29-16 12:32PM

Ernie
Administrator

Thai wrote:

If you're considering the blackout, spend a little extra money and look at 13 fishing omen 2 rods. They are from
The same company but higher end and hard to beat for the money. I have 500$ rods but I pick up my 120$ omens more often!

I picked up a baitcatser at the bassresources classifieds for less than $100 shipped. EXCELLENT rod!

Time to go fishin' again!

#17 Apr-29-16 12:44PM

RyanK

Ernie wrote:

Thai wrote:

I picked up a baitcatser at the bassresources classifieds for less than $100 shipped. EXCELLENT rod!

Very nice! I have been checking just do not know what brands really to look for or what is recommended. I know about 13 fishing and No8.

Board footer