Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-08-16 7:10PM

Ernie
Administrator

4-8-16, Okeechobe, Olympic Peninsula ain't got notin'.....

....compared to my Friday Broad River (Beaufort SC) trip.

Except that Greg and Chris caught fish!!

Maynard and I had about a 5 hour window between meetings and dinner today....so we took advantage of it.

We met Capt. Mark Nutting at the ramp at 1:15p. Originally, we were to go out with Capt. Scott Wagner but his FIL was very ill so we switched up. I had known of Capt. Scott from fishing the Outer Banks with Capt. Donnie Davis, who is his friend. There is always a connection....

The forecast was for sunny skies and windy weather, it was to blow 12-20 out of the north. But as usual, the weatherman was wrong. It blew from the SE and the only time we saw 12 was when we were in a sheltered cove.

Can you spell G A L E?

We got to his honey hole and you had to cast 90 degrees to land in the target zone.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/IMG_0253_zpsbczl3ayh.jpg

After an hour of trying, we moved in to a creek to see if we could see any tailing reds.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/IMG_0254_zpshprcmadd.jpg

We did not. At 4pm, Mark said we should call it a day and that he would only charge for a 1/4 day. We tried hard but the winds, tide etc was too much. We were defeated. So we thought.

As we made our way back, the winds intensified and we were taking on lots of water. Mark has a great boat, a 15' Kevlar hulled Maverick.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/Kiko13PB/New%20Kiko/IMG_0252_zpsnhcxggir.jpg

No slap in 2-3' chop (in 3' of water). It was a brutal ride home. Mark and I were soaked. Maynard was smart and he had a GoreTex jacket which kept his upper body dry.

This was an intense ride back and Mark showed some great skill but that little boat was not made for those conditions.

As we neared the ramp, the wind now came out of the NW and was blowing an already low tide out to sea. We literally grounded the boat as there was no water. The waves were making it tough to control so Maynard and I went into the river to walk out. No problem as it was shin deep. This way, Mark could walk the boat in without the excess weight.

As we were walking, Maynard yells and I look back. I thought he tripped but he got sucked in the mud. He was stuck. And then I became stuck. Now we are in trouble. I told him to crawl out and he did that for 25 yards. I was finally able to stand and get to shore where some guys had come down to assist. One of them helped Maynard get up to the ramp and the other 2 helped Mark get his boat in. Team effort.

I was soaking wet from the ride and muddy from the soft bottom. Man that stuff stinks.

Mark came back and was really upset at what happened and told us not to pay him. I told him that I appreciated the offer but if we didn't give him something, the trip didn't happen. This one will go down in the books as the hairiest experience of my fishing career. It even topped Destruction Saturday in the Outer Banks in 2001.

You can never take things for granted and you should never, ever believe the weather people. They suck!

So we just got back from a great seafood dinner and it was hard explaining to folks what happened. We are calling it "another adventure". Everyone is safe, Capt. Mark has a bruised ego and I would do it again tomorrow...without the wind, of course.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Apr-09-16 2:21PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 4-8-16, Okeechobe, Olympic Peninsula ain't got notin'.....

Ouch!  Tough indeed!  Glad everyone's ok....

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#3 Apr-10-16 1:35PM

Ernie
Administrator

To give ou an idea how conditions changed for us, when we got back there was NO water where the boat was in the picture. The bottom was exposed.

#4 Apr-10-16 2:45PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Back in the 1970's, my family got stuck in Beaufort, SC when we were coming up the inland waterway.  My Dad bought a boat in Miami and we were coming all the way up to DC.  We ran aground on one of those 12' tides and bent both struts and props.  He had to hire a captain to bring it the rest of the way up because our vacation ran out.  The captain hit a log in the Potomac and jacked it up again before making it to Fort Washington Marina.  Those tides and water level fluctuations are killer down there.  You were lucky.

Last edited by drxfish (Apr-10-16 2:46PM)

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#5 Apr-10-16 3:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

Wow!

We were on the Broad River between Parris Island and Laurel Bay....good thing that was a shallow drafting boat.

#6 Apr-11-16 5:54AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

thats a crazzzzy trip! glad everyone was okay! if nothing else, its another great story to tell haha

#7 Apr-11-16 6:57AM

Osprey
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

It's just nice to know that all of your sundaes don't come with whipped cream and a cherry.

20' Key West..16' C-Hawk...Hobie Pro Angler...Hobie Outback

#8 Apr-11-16 7:04AM

Ernie
Administrator

Osprey wrote:

It's just nice to know that all of your sundaes don't come with whipped cream and a cherry.

It was a great trip.....just a different kind of great.

#9 Apr-14-16 1:26PM

mkupchyk

Wow that is a truly incredible story, thanks for sharing it. I am a bit surprised that Capt. Mark was caught off guard but unpredictable weather will do that, even to experienced professionals. Good that everyone was safe and you can look back on it as a learning experience.

Board footer