Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-14-15 6:04AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Lake Gaston Non fishing report and equipment loss

Well, after a long summer and practically no fishing....I made it down to my friends home for a birthday celebration at Lake Gaston along the VA/NC border.

I took a shot at fishing from the dock where the water was 12-15 ft deep.  I'm talking it drops to that depth within 5 feet of the shoreline.  This was the first serious fishing I've done all year sadly and I decided to use my brand new rod that I set up for bass (7ft stiff back Berkley with a shimano senora reel).

Anyway, I started Saturday afternoon and I used a crankbait to no avail.  went to a black dragonfly and caught many bluegills.  switched over to a swimbait and caught a really nice 5lbs bass that threw the hook after taking flight as I was trying to lip it.  Lost it, but the fight was good and my friends enjoyed the show while drinking bloody marys!

Sunday morning, I did the same and went with a swimbait again and got nothing.  I laid the rod down on the dock (with the bait hanging in the water at the surface) to help my wife clean up the dock of party balloons, etc.

After 15 minutes, my wife heads back to the house and I turn towards my rod.  As I turned, I see that the rod get a hard pull and started heading for the water.  I lunged at it and it was just out of reach and plunk it goes into the water with 2 very hard pulls.  I quickly emptied my pockets and jumped in........lol.  I'm sure everyone would have laughed very hard to see me do this so quickly. 

I failed at retrieving the rod....whatever took the bait ran straight out from the dock and took my brand new rod with it.  I spent a lot of time swimming around and diving, tossed and dragged a treble hook and still no luck.

It was my fault for not securing my rod properly and an expensive lesson learned.  Since there was nothing to set the hook, I'm also guessing that the fish could easily spit the hook.  Whether it be a big catfish, pike, or a big bass, I'm sure eventually the rod will get hung up on some kind of structure.  The good thing is I had the drag on really light, the bad thing is it was spooled with brand new 150 yds of 10 lbs spiderwire (that line that looks like dental floss).  The other positive is that that line does not handle sharp edges every well, so I'm hoping it gets scraped along rocks and breaks.

total bummer for my real first outing this year.

Last edited by backtofuturetoyota (Sep-14-15 6:05AM)

#2 Sep-14-15 6:21AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Lake Gaston Non fishing report and equipment loss

Ouch!!

Hope they gave you one of those Bloody Marys!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-14-15 6:51AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Bummer! At least you caught that 5lber on it.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#4 Sep-14-15 9:50AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Ouch!!

Hope they gave you one of those Bloody Marys!

No sir!  Went right for the whiskey after that one!

#5 Sep-14-15 2:22PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

That is one for the ages!  Everyone has to have a story.  Yours is a good one.  Expensive, but good...

Always wishin' I was fishin'

Board footer