Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-27-15 4:39PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

VA Beach area 7/23-25

I headed down to Chesapeake, VA with my girlfriend on Thursday.  During the last few miles to my step-sister/bro-in-law's place we passed an interesting-looking creek.  After dropping of my GF and her stuff I headed back to check it out.  Indian Creek, it's a sandy bottom and tannin-stained water.  The area looks a lot like Dragon Run.  I went about a mile down the creek before turning around. There didn't seem to be a lot of fish, they weren't interested in what I had anyways.  Maybe it was the lack of tidal current at the time.  ??  While trolling on the way back up the creek I caught two small crappie.  I was really hoping to find some bowfin.

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q684/LoudounFisher/DSC03494x_zps92awzzva.jpg

That night I got to watch the F-18s doing nighttime carrier landing quals over at the Fentress outlying field only a few miles away.  We got the heads up when they were looping past the house at 1000ft.  They were doing that until about 11pm.

Friday the GF and I went over to Lynnhaven Inlet.  We tried drifting for flounder.  Eventually we pulled up on an island and tried the channel from there. My GF did catch a very small puppy drum.   But she was also spotting rays nearby.  I had my fishing bow with me just in case.  I was able to get two cow nose rays.  Both were 3ft across and 40lbs.  I had a really loaded kayak after that.  Somehow they both fit in my cooler.
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q684/LoudounFisher/DSC03498x_zpsbzjccr6n.jpg

We grilled some a few different ways to try it.  Its chews like steak or pork and the flavor range from not much, to like a scallop.  With some steak sauce you can think you're eating steak except for some crunchiness that some seafoods have.  I brought back three freezer bags full of ray meat.

#2 Jul-27-15 4:59PM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: VA Beach area 7/23-25

T. wrote:

We grilled some a few different ways to try it.  Its chews like steak or pork and the flavor range from not much, to like a scallop.  With some steak sauce you can think you're eating steak except for some crunchiness that some seafoods have.  I brought back three freezer bags full of ray meat.

Haha!
Good for you. I have Shot many of those in tournaments and other wise.
I really tried to like the taste, but couldnt make it happen.
I am glad you enjoyed them. Its propbably in the way its cooked.

smile

#3 Jul-27-15 5:05PM

Ernie
Administrator

I've had skate when thinly sliced and sauteed in butter and garlic. Nice taste. But I don't like it when thick!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jul-28-15 5:03AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks for the report! I've always wondered what ray tastes like so thanks a bunch for sharing your experience! I've only had raw skate wings (it was a dinner with a bunch of other sushi), and it tasted like rusted metal...and there was some crunchiness. I can eat a lot of things, but I don't know if I would have that again tongue

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#5 Jul-28-15 6:47AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Yeah I tried to eat a cownose once. Toughest meat I've ever chewed...

Thanks for the report!

tight lines

Board footer