Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Apr-14-15 5:57PM

Ernie
Administrator

Wounded Heores Fishing Project, August 1- Pavilion Lake!

On August 1, 2015, Ashburn Village will sponsor a FAMILY FISHING DAY for Wounded Heroes and their families at Pavilion Lake. Starting at 9am and running through 2pm, we will have fishing, food, and fun.  Please pass the word about this, we’d like to invite veterans from all past conflicts, and the lake paths make wheelchair access particularly good.   We’ll have prizes and some other fun activities.  Come out and support those who have made some big sacrifices serving our country.

To participate (wounded veteran) in this event, please email paul@ketrick.org or peterlodell@gmail.com.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

VOLUNTEER:  Volunteers are needed to help run this event and to make sure that our Wounded Heroes and families have a memorable experience.  We need fishermen, residents, and high school students.  To sign up today, go to:  www.SignUpGenius.com/go/9040C4FAAAA238-family

DONATE:  Our goal is provide every Wounded Hero his/her own fishing gear tackle (rod & reel combos, tackle boxes, and bait and lures).  If you would like to donate fishing gear and tackle, please drop off your donations at the box located near the main entrance of the Sports Pavilion by July 15th. 

SPONSORSHIP:  Sponsorships are available for prizes, lunch and drinks for this event.  If you would like to become a Sponsor, please contact Ernie Rojas at ernierojas@verizon.net.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Apr-15-15 1:38PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Wounded Heores Fishing Project, August 1- Pavilion Lake!

We already have AVHOA board support and will be discussed at next board meeting. Suffice to say, we will need some volunteers.

#3 Apr-16-15 4:34AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

This is great!
Sinikka and I will help

smile

#4 Apr-16-15 1:33PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

I would love to help

#5 May-13-15 2:18PM

Ernie
Administrator

This is definitely on....will be held at Pavilion Lake.

This is going to be a really neat event.

I will keep a running volunteer list here:

Rojas
English (2)
Folts

#6 May-14-15 5:37AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie, as a retired jarhead....I'm thrilled to support this effort.  Please count me in.  I'll even try to get some stuff for this through my company if that's ok.  Just let me know how many we have participating.

#7 May-14-15 6:04AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

What is the time frame for this event? I may be able to help out for a little bit.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#8 May-14-15 6:09AM

Ernie
Administrator

9-3

#9 May-14-15 6:16AM

Ernie
Administrator

backtofuturetoyota wrote:

Ernie, as a retired jarhead....I'm thrilled to support this effort.  Please count me in.  I'll even try to get some stuff for this through my company if that's ok.  Just let me know how many we have participating.

Thanks for your service and for your willingness to help. And yes...we will take whatever you can give us!

We will know numbers later but are shooting for 25-50 participants plus family members.

What we will need is:

Fishing helpers
General helpers
Donations for prizes
Food and drink donations

More later.....

#10 May-18-15 5:48AM

Ernie
Administrator

Anyone wishing to donate for this event can do so by making out a check to: "Ketrick Communities".

A receipt will be sent for tax purposes.

you can drop it by my house or send to:

Ketrick Communities
PO Box 8031
Alexandria, Va 22306

General link for donations is:

http://fco.ketrick.org/donate

Just indicate that the donation is for the Ashburn Villgae event on August 1.

#11 May-19-15 2:30AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie,  I'm having a telecon today with my marketing director to see what he might be willing to do.  Fingers crossed that we get some good support!

#12 May-19-15 12:02PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Just saw this and would like to help.  Not sure of my schedule that weekend?  Will let you know as we get closer.......

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#13 May-19-15 1:25PM

Ernie
Administrator

Thanks to everyone that has responded.....I will have lots more info in the coming weeks but it will be a great event.

#14 May-19-15 5:04PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

I will definitely help out with this! I have some lures to donate as well if that helps.

#15 May-21-15 10:36AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie, I had a productive meeting with my marketing director and team.  They feel this fits in their wheelhouse for efforts and would like some follow on details if possible.  Who else are they affiliated with (USO, WWP, etc).  How are they marketing to the veterans?  What number of personnel are they looking for?  Just overall details on effort. 
There is a positive response to donating, but there is potential for much more.

#16 May-23-15 9:42AM

Ernie
Administrator

Here are some links that should be helpful. Originally, we thought @15 Heroes plus their families but that was when we were going to do it out of my house. It has now grown to a bigger event since our Home Owners Association (kudos to them) has latched on and are helping lead the charge.

We will know numbers as we get closer but we are all hoping for 100 (Heroes and family).

http://fco.ketrick.org/

ttps://www.facebook.com/fishingcommunityorg

I really appreciate you doing this!!

#17 May-23-15 9:45AM

Ernie
Administrator

We just received a very nice cash donation from Fishfry (Kris or orange hat). He was not looking for any press but his kindness needs to be recognized.    smile

Things are starting to get on the move. Lots of folks have already stepped up to help and we will have a meeting in the next month or so.

We need it all....cash, tackle, food, drinks, volunteers. You name it.....

This will be a great event that our fishing community can be proud of.

If I say THANKS too much, it's because of your generosity.

#18 Jun-03-15 7:53AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Just a quick update.  I've received great information from Paul Ketrick and Pete Odell in ref to this event.  It's just one of those organizations that you feel good about (100% of donations goes to the event...no overhead).  I've submitted a full package in support of this to my company marketing director and team.  They have responded very positively and stated that they will come up with a support package.  I'm hoping they come back with something significant, but even if it is a standard monetary donation....every little bit will help!

#19 Jun-04-15 5:26AM

AndrewC
Website

I would like to Volunteer.

I am the VA Ambassador to the free fishing app FishBrain (see them on facebook too) and will reach out to them to see if they would be willing to offer support.

FishBrain app. It's free!
www.NVAAC.com

#20 Jun-04-15 5:39AM

Ernie
Administrator

Thanks to everyone that is stepping up to help, donate, coordinate donations etc. it is really gratifying.mthis will be a very nice event.

I was on one of my walks last night and was stopped by someone who wanted to volunteer as well.

Very cool!!!

#21 Jun-05-15 7:39AM

Ernie
Administrator

We had a great meeting yesterday, Greg Folts was able to be there as I was stuck at work in DC.

Here are some notes (thanks Greg)!

- Center of operations will be the Pavilion dock area right near the pool where the flags are (not the one with the boats on it).

- Event will start at 9am.  Lunch will be noon. End at 2 or 3pm.

- Attendees can use the path around the pool to get to the event area.  They can also go through the building on the lower floor.  The bathrooms will be available there.

- There is easy access fishing from the bridge to the left of the dock area around to the big dock with boats and further around along Ashburn Village Blvd.  But they can fish anywhere along the shoreline.  No problems with "trampling" some of the greenery on the shoreline.  This was stated by Samantha.- Samantha is trying to get the employees at the rec center to volunteer to help and open doors, direct people, etc.

- We are asking local businesses (Wegmans, Taque, Urban BBG)  for support. Cash or food....we will take it all. If anyone has any local contacts, please feel free to reach out to them.

- I have asked Orvis and TPFR to see if we can have some certified fly casting instructors available as we are thinking of having fly-fishing lessons.

- Each attendee will get a fishing rod/reel combo to keep.  The Organization seem to have that covered.

- There will be no cash prizes - all prizes must be items.  But, we will take CASH donations and turn that cash in to prizes.

- We will also have some fish catching soft plastics available to the participants. They need lures to be used during the event.  Lures that will catch fish at that lake.

- We will need live bait so we may want a few of us to set out some minnow traps. This has been approved to do. We will have worms as well.

More later!

#22 Jun-05-15 8:53AM

Ernie
Administrator

Call for Volunteers!

I know many of you have indicated a willingness to help....in order for us to manage names etc, can you please go to this link and register?

http://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040c4faaaa238-family

#23 Jun-06-15 5:59AM

Ernie
Administrator

To donate money, please go here: http://fco.ketrick.org/donate

Please reference the Ashburn Village event.

So far, we have raised $450 of the $2000 needed to run this event. All the donors so far are members of this Forum.

#24 Jun-06-15 6:04AM

Ernie
Administrator

Hit this link to get t the Sponsor form should you have someone that wants to donate: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_QfcD … RzeVE/view

#25 Jun-09-15 12:39PM

Ernie
Administrator

I need a favor please. If you have indicated a willingness to help out, please go to the signup sheet so we can keep track of folks. This is getting good!

Ernie wrote:

Call for Volunteers!

I know many of you have indicated a willingness to help....in order for us to manage names etc, can you please go to this link and register?

http://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040c4faaaa238-family

Board footer