Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-18-15 7:05PM

CrankbaitGuy

Pohick 5/17/2015

I swear I'm not trying to one-up our generous host.

So my buddy from the PRSC Kris wanted to break in his canoe.  We were going to the Shenandoah until we realized my mighty Prius might not be able to handle a canoe, particularly because I haven't put on my roof rack for the season.  Instead we met up on Sunday morning and headed for Pohick Bay.  High tide was between 7:30-8, we didn't get on water until 9. 

I was a bit skeptical how we would do on a hot day with sun against a falling tide, fairly deep into the bay where the small craft launch is located.  After an early possible miss with a possible catfish, Kris boated this fish on a jig head and plastic grub a few feet from shore in maybe 2 feet of water:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7724/17653556648_8346d540ba_z.jpg

Things were quiet and unproductive for another two hours, when Kris pulled a not picture worthy dink largemouth out from next to a duck blind. Another hour and a half of snags and "water is shallow, nothing here" followed that fish before we found some current behind a island.  I was doubtful, the sun was out, the water was 18" over soft mud.  There were fish breaking, but they were carp.  However Kris swam the same jig grub combo in current and this fish came on board:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7746/17815051876_b659948122_z.jpg

At this point I ask if I can use a grub.  Kris hands one over, but has no jig heads available, so I Texas rig one with a dropshot hook.  Within five minutes, I got this one is on the end of my line.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5337/17639216810_ca29a201a4_z.jpg

We fished around for a bit longer before calling the day at 3PM.  There was a decent amount of fish breaking water, some carp, some probably bass or snakeheads.  We spooked a lot of somethings that left swirls in the muddy water.  Several bowfish guys were out with their boats were buried in the weeds.  I only saw one shoot and he didn't reel anything up.  All in all a respectable day and I'm very happy to be wrong.

#2 May-18-15 8:10PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Pohick 5/17/2015

You guys fished where we should have. Going back to previous years, my reports were from that area vs up to the splits.

Well done!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 May-19-15 6:38AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Each of you caught some bass, better than we made out.  Very nice!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#4 May-20-15 11:11AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I've staped canoes on old VW beetle w/o racks & taken them for many all day rides.

With the right racks, your might Prius would do the job much more safer than some of my jury-rigged rack set ups.

Nice day!

Board footer