Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-21-15 9:17AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Fishing in Orlando

I am going to Orlando in mid-April for a conference. It's going to be a busy schedule but I hope to sneak out in the early mornings to fishing local lakes. In addition I am exploring the possibility of going on a charter, for what I'm not sure yet. I would like to do saltwater because I don't know when the next time I would be able to do such a thing. I have only caught the little panfish here in the bay area, so it is exciting to think about catching a red, speckled trout, tarpon, cobia, and all those other crazy fish you see in Ernie's posts haha. I wouldn't be able to go down to Miami or anywhere like that, so I'm looking for a charter/captain east/west of Orlando. If that doesn't work out I would consider doing a charter for bass (black and/or peacock). Does any one have recommendations for either? Thanks big_smile

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#2 Jan-21-15 10:47AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Re: Fishing in Orlando

It is a ways to the beach from the Orlando area (at least 1 hour).  If you are short on time, you might not want to spend 75% of it driving back and forth from the coast.  There is some good freshwater fishing around Orlando and guides in that area can put you on good fish.  Lots of the local ponds there have big bass in them.  You could also just pond hop around your area like you might do around Ashburn.

#3 Jan-21-15 11:52AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Good to hear local ponds have big bass! I'll be there for a few days after the conference ends so I'll be able to go to the beaches east/west from Orlando, just can't make a trip down south.

Last edited by firemunkee (Jan-21-15 11:52AM)

#4 Jan-21-15 2:26PM

Ernie
Administrator

JC- you have some possibilities. Capt. Pete Matson knows all the lakes in and around Orlando. Large mouth Bass are his specialty.

http://www.a1bassguideservice.com/pete.html

He even picked me up at the airport.

Another possibility is for reds and specs about an hour east with Capt. Tom Van Horn. Cell 407-416-1187

captain@irl-fishing.com

http://www.irl-fishing.com/

Both of these guys are good.

BTW, all of this info is in the Recommended Charter Captain section of the Forum.

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Jan-21-15 3:24PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks Erine! I didn't know about that section tongue

#6 Jan-22-15 4:41AM

mudkart
Northern Snakehead

Rent a john boat @ Turkey Lake Park (be sure to call ahead and reserve one).  Alot of the bank is fishable @ Lake Underhill and there are great fish in there.  Head directly East to fish the brackish water around Cocoa, catch some snook, which will change your religion.  There are soooo many choices in central Florida it can be hard to choose.

#7 Jan-22-15 9:13AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

mudkart wrote:

Rent a john boat @ Turkey Lake Park (be sure to call ahead and reserve one).  Alot of the bank is fishable @ Lake Underhill and there are great fish in there.  Head directly East to fish the brackish water around Cocoa, catch some snook, which will change your religion.  There are soooo many choices in central Florida it can be hard to choose.

Thanks for the info! I didn't even consider going somewhere to rent a john boat. I would love to catch some snook! I will probably go that route if I don't get a charter.

#8 Apr-09-15 5:57AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Given our schedule I wasn't able to book a charter, but that might be okay given the weather forecast sad I did find out though that the place we are staying has a fishing pond on site!!! You'd better believe I'm going to be there very morning! Not sure how big the fish will be though, hopefully that have some +2lbers. Since the weather will be in the upper 80s, would the bass be in summer time mode down there?

#9 Apr-09-15 6:18AM

Ernie
Administrator

Those bass spawn in February down there.......

Time to go fishin' again!

#10 Apr-09-15 6:19AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Those bass spawn in February down there.......

That's what I thought roll That means I get to work on my topwater big_smile

#11 Apr-09-15 8:41AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

When I was fishing Okeechobee a couple weeks ago, the fish were on their beds.

Board footer