Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-17-15 7:41AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Mossy Creek - 3/14

I gave Tyler a ride down to VT on Saturday and we decided to make a stop at Mossy Creek.  Tyler had fished it once and I had never fished it.  A quick stop at Mossy Creek Outfitters had us drooling over stories of 24 inch Rainbows that were being caught in the creek.  The rain let up, wind wasn't too bad, and it even got a little sunny.  Got to Mossy Creek and everything really looked good.  Water wasn't too high or fast.  A little murky but not too bad.  Only one or two other fisherman on the creek the whole time we were there.  All looked perfect.  Except the fish seemed to have other ideas of "perfect".  We worked our way about a 1/2 mile up the creek and back with nothing.  We were working the bottom pretty hard (by suggestion of the guys at Mossy Creek Outfitters).  Finally Tyler switched to a streamer he bought for $1 at Tie Fest and worked it a few inches below the surface.  He got a few looks at some big fish, but no takers.  I got nothing.  We saw a couple swirls on topwater and tried some nymphs but didn't get to work that pattern very long. I still had to drive 2 more hours to VT and 4 hours back to Ashburn.  Time to leave and come back another day.

Bottom line....no fish caught, but Tyler saw enough to make him want to make this a regular stop going to and from VT.  I took some pictures of the cows that were watching us and the pastures, but no fish.  It really is a unique and beautiful place.....if you don't mind trudging through cow patties all over the place.

#2 Mar-17-15 7:43AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Mossy Creek - 3/14

But....you to to go and fish with your son! Cool!!!!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-17-15 9:08AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

I fish Mossy fairly often - it's a tough place for numbers .... but when you get a tug it's worth the time and effort.

#4 Mar-17-15 10:02AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Houli, will have to let you know next time we fish it and see if we can all meet up.  I would love to learn from someone with as much experience as you.

Ernie, ABSOLUTELY!!!!  Any day fishing with my son is the best day I could ask for whether we catch or not.

#5 Mar-17-15 11:23AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Sounds good Greg. My favorite time to fish it is summer hopper season. You get a better chance of big fish coming to the surface and it gets the blood flowing .... otherwise I like it after a rain when water is up and cloudy for streamers.

#6 Mar-18-15 4:10AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Next time I am going is probably in May when I pick up Tyler from VT.  Not sure if Grasshoppers will be out yet?  Will stay in touch!

#7 Mar-24-15 9:24AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Downloaded a couple pics - no fish, just pretty scenery.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/GregF000/150314-GT%20Mossy%20Creek%201_zpspmrixkd0.jpg

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/GregF000/150314-GT%20Mossy%20Creek%206_zpsous7fu7k.jpg

Last edited by GregF (Mar-24-15 9:25AM)

#8 Apr-02-15 8:58AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Good client of mine owns missy creek lodge out there with private water, been meaning to make a trip sometime soon

#9 Apr-02-15 9:59AM

Ernie
Administrator

Thai wrote:

been meaning to make a trip sometime soon

I'll carry your equipment and lend you fly stuff!

Time to go fishin' again!

#10 Apr-02-15 10:10AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

I'll stick to my UL spinning trout rod lol

#11 Apr-02-15 11:27AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Ernie wrote:

Thai wrote:

been meaning to make a trip sometime soon

I'll carry your equipment and lend you fly stuff!

I'll carry your water, Ernie's equipment, and lend you UL stuff!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

Board footer