Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-30-14 9:06AM

KevinJ
Northern Snakehead

Cincinnati Fishing

Went home for a few days for Thanksgiving. Made it out one time, and caught a couple decent saugeye. Not sure if those are prevalent here or not?  Anyway, I have a pic I'd like to post but can't figure out how. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Nov-30-14 9:11AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Cincinnati Fishing

Don't think we have them down this way...that I know of.

How to post a picture: http://www.pacemakerfishing.com/forum/v … hp?id=4166

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Nov-30-14 9:17AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

KevinJ wrote:

Went home for a few days for Thanksgiving. Made it out one time, and caught a couple decent saugeye. Not sure if those are prevalent here or not?  ................

Stocked in Lake Anna by VADGIF 2 years ago.  Last Dec. we caught a bunch of 12-14" fish in the gill net survey.  They are mostly in the lower part of the lake near the dikes.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#4 Nov-30-14 6:03PM

KevinJ
Northern Snakehead

http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah240/kevinjmalone/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps8529d4eb.jpg

Thanks for the help!

#5 Dec-01-14 4:08AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Very nice walleye! big_smile

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#6 Dec-01-14 7:26AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice! I hear they are fun to catch and yummy to eat.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#7 Dec-01-14 8:12AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Very cool!

Curly wrote:

KevinJ wrote:

Went home for a few days for Thanksgiving. Made it out one time, and caught a couple decent saugeye. Not sure if those are prevalent here or not?  ................

Stocked in Lake Anna by VADGIF 2 years ago.  Last Dec. we caught a bunch of 12-14" fish in the gill net survey.  They are mostly in the lower part of the lake near the dikes.

I always thought saugeye would do well here, but I didn't know they had already stocked them. I just looked it up and apparently they also put them in 6 other VA lakes! I would love to catch one.

tight lines

#8 Dec-02-14 8:44AM

KevinJ
Northern Snakehead

Bryan wrote:

Very cool!

Curly wrote:

KevinJ wrote:

I always thought saugeye would do well here, but I didn't know they had already stocked them. I just looked it up and apparently they also put them in 6 other VA lakes! I would love to catch one.

Eh, they kind of fight like a wet rag.  Not too much to it except dead weight.  And you wouldn't want to eat it out of the river that I caught it in...

Curly, not sure if that was intentional (saugeye/walleye), but I've given up trying to identify them, and at this point I just call them all saugeye.  In my experience on the Great Miami in Ohio, it is very difficult to tell the difference.  Despite what a lot of people think, saugeye can reproduce naturally, and with either walleye or sauger.  This just makes it all the more difficult to identify.  Some of them probably have crazy genetics like 1/8 or a 1/16 walleye!  Plus I only fish for them in the winter, so I don't get to hold too many of them.

#9 Dec-05-14 6:33AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

#10 Dec-05-14 7:34AM

KevinJ
Northern Snakehead

The differences between saugeye and walleye are much less distinct than those between sauger and walleye, but an interesting post nonetheless.

Board footer