Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-06-14 5:49AM

Kicknstang

Found new spot in Brambleton

So I was looking around on google maps and found what looked to be a decent size pond off of legacy park drive. Buried behind houses.  I stopped by after work yesterday and fished for about an hour and a half. Wow does this place have some hungry fish! I don't think I have ever had as much action fishing in my life. I seriously lost count after a dozen. Most were around a pound to a pound and a half. Did get one that was over 3. No pictures because I didn't bother bringing my phone with me not knowing if there were any fish in the place. I only walked to three spots all with in 100 yards of each other. Maybe fished 2% of the pond. Going back at some point this weekend and hammering them again! Anyone that wants to roll with is more then welcome.
-Brent

#2 Sep-06-14 9:34AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Re: Found new spot in Brambleton

Most of that is private property that backs to the houses, there is a small park there you can fish from and from the dam side as well. Lots of hungry little bass.

#3 Sep-18-14 10:13AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Consistent action is a lot of fun even if they aren't huge. What kind of lures were you using? Did you ever go back?

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#4 Sep-21-14 9:09PM

LouisD

I've been taking the kids here...

On Sunday, from 4-6:30p, the tally was as follows:

Me: 3 bass
11 year old son: 5 bass
8 year old son: 10 bass
6 year old daughter: 2 bass

They were generally in the 10-12" range with one larger one around 14". 

Everything caught was on watermelon worms and/or watermelon frogs.

On Saturday I brought in 5 in about 45 minutes on a frog popper.

Overall a lot of fun even though they're not big.

#5 Oct-21-14 11:17AM

Kicknstang

So update since my initial post:
Been back several times. Always catch a bunch of fish. Around 10 and hour or so. My favorite spots are the north/northwest end. Best luck using powerbait worms in darker colors and either swimming or fishing like a jerk bait. My buddy got a nice 4.5+ for his first fish out of there. There are a few big ones in there. I am concerned about the numbers of 1lb fish that are getting caught. I have sent inquiries to Brambleton about fishery management in hopes of maybe getting some electro-fishing surveys done and seeing if there is a need to harvest some smaller bass to get their numbers in check. The pond is usable to any Brambleton residents for fishing from shore (no boats/yaks) on a catch and release basis per the Brambleton HOA.

#6 Oct-21-14 12:45PM

mkupchyk

Thanks for the update, I just ran across the forum and joined. I will try to make it over to this spot to check it out this weekend either Sat afternoon or Sun.

#7 Oct-21-14 3:06PM

Ernie
Administrator

mkupchyk wrote:

I just ran across the forum and joined.

Welcome aboard Mark!

Time to go fishin' again!

#8 Oct-22-14 8:49AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

I found some gems w/ Google.

Some private property, but never had much problems at all when fishing.

#9 Oct-27-14 9:53AM

Kicknstang

Went back out yesterday. Water is cooling off but still feels like low to mid 60s. Not as cool as some other ponds I went to over the weekend. Action was no where near the level it was a month ago but caught three on my dark power worm and three on a wacky rigged green pumpkin Senko. The wacky fish were all caught with in 10 minutes of each other soon after tying it on. Going to play around with it some more next time, they seemed to like it! The picture is the biggest one of the day at 2.18lbs. Big mouth and he was skinny for his length. 

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/kicknstang93/Fish/IMG_2371.jpg

#10 Oct-27-14 11:00AM

Ernie
Administrator

Thanks for reporting...that bass needs to eat!

#11 Oct-27-14 11:35AM

mkupchyk

Let me make sure I have the correct pond because I went to one on Saturday in Brambleton but did not catch anything (one bite in about an hour). I went to the one off of Belmont Ridge Rd. at the corner of Legacy Park Drive and Parkview Drive in Legacy Park with the little footbridge. However now looking at the map I see two other ponds off of Legacy Park, one (much larger it looks like) between Minerva Dr. and Glenside Dr., and another one close to the intersection of Legacy Park Dr. and Portico Place. I didn't even realize there were three that close, doh. Yeah looks like I was at the tiny pond in the park and really should have been at the other one, oh well. On the plus side it was a beautiful evening and I got to spend time with my family. I will go to the larger one hopefully this weekend and report back. Just FYI, I was fishing a 5 inch Senko worm, black with blue flakes on a Texas rig with a 1/8 oz. weight and 3/0 hook. I also stopped at Lake Braddock in the morning and caught a small bass, but I will post that with details in a new topic.

#12 Oct-27-14 1:25PM

Kicknstang

^^^^ You were not at the one I have been going to. I have been going to the larger one you spoke of at Minerva Dr.

#13 Oct-27-14 2:20PM

mkupchyk

OK thanks that's what I realized after I looked at Google maps again. Is there street parking at the big one?

Yeah the small one I was at looked like a muddy African watering hole, the water was so cloudy (low level too, looks like it lost 3 feet). But there seemed to be turtles everywhere.

#14 Oct-28-14 9:54AM

mkupchyk

OK so I stopped by the (correct) pond today and caught two in about 40 minutes with several more strikes. Both were about 1 - 1.5 lbs. Here is the second one, he is a bit bigger than he looks since I took the pic with my phone and my hand looks huge in comparison to the fish due to the wide angle. Plenty of bass feeding/splashing and I could see turtles poking around. Geese on the top of the levee area and a large blue heron was standing guard on some rocks when I arrived. I used the black/blue flake Senko.

http://i.imgur.com/AUdQVig.jpg

Last edited by mkupchyk (Oct-29-14 12:19PM)

#15 Oct-29-14 12:11PM

mkupchyk

Today was rainy but that did not seem to stop the bite! I fished for about 45 min and landed five bass and two more threw the hook when they got caught up in the vegetation as I was bringing 'em in. There was a light drizzle when I got there and it turned into a steady rain as i was leaving. I caught 3 on the Texas rig but this time with a (color 297) Green Pumpkin with Black Flake 5" Senko and I also tried a Wacky rig Senko 4" (color 214) Smoke with Black, Blue and Gold Flake and they loved that too. I guess my o-ring was not small/tight enough because one fish took the worm right off the hook.

http://i.imgur.com/I2NBb9M.jpg

Last edited by mkupchyk (Oct-29-14 12:18PM)

#16 Oct-29-14 2:03PM

Ernie
Administrator

mkupchyk wrote:

I guess my o-ring was not small/tight enough because one fish took the worm right off the hook.

Common problem....if you rig it though the hook, the rip it. If you use the O-ring, they slurp it off.

The good thing is that they were biting it!

#17 Oct-30-14 8:31AM

mkupchyk

You are right Ernie, it's a good problem to have! Have you ever tried a small zip tie instead of an o-ring? I was thinking about testing one out with the square box piece facing down at the bottom of the worm trimmed close where the tie "tag" comes out so at the top the hook slides under the zip tie. I also heard some people use a like a 1/2 in. section of electrical heat wrap that is a snug fit (but no heat to shrink it) and put the hook through the wrap and the middle of the worm (so the hook is perpendicular to the worm, not parallel like an o-ring set up).

#18 Oct-30-14 9:15AM

Ernie
Administrator

Never tried the zip tie since I have so many O-rings....I am sure it will work. Or.....you could buy fatter worms!

#19 Oct-30-14 7:44PM

mkupchyk

So today was a quick 45 min trip, but I caught my biggest bass so far at this pond. Around 1.5 lbs. In honor of Halloween I fished a Pumpkin (color 196) with Black and Green Flake Senko 4" worm on a Wacky rig. This time I used a smaller 3/16 ID O-ring and that helped. I did not lose it but a few bites caused the hook to go all the way through past the eye so I had to re-set it several times. In total I landed 4 fish and missed probably half a dozen strikes, plus 2 fish threw the hook, one in the grass and the other jumping. A glorious Fall day for sure.

http://i.imgur.com/X5IjpT8.jpg

#20 Oct-31-14 11:12AM

Kicknstang

Ha, I fished that same spot yesterday! Only got three. None over the average 1-1.25#. I did measure the actual water temp (finally) and it was 60.8* so still pretty warm for this time of year. Granted that was right at shore but the water feels warm to the touch. Gonna hit a different Brambleton pond here in the next hour or so. My buddy pulled a hog out yesterday so I need to go show him up. The wacky rig I have been doing has been just poking the hook through the senko just off center upside down, then pushing it around the curve of the hook and partly up the shank. Then merely poking the hook point 95% through the worm just on the other side of center for a weedless rig. Only had a fish steal it once but that worm was well past its prime by then. On an un related note- how do I read private messages on here? I get emails saying I have received one but can't figure out how to read it?

#21 Nov-01-14 2:56AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice picture of the foliage wink Thanks for all the reports guys!

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#22 Nov-02-14 4:13PM

mkupchyk

Just FYI I did go on Friday (Halloween) at lunchtime and caught 4-5 bass in about 45 min. (all between 0.75 - 1.25 lbs.), but the awesome thing was that I caught my fastest fish ever. I cast my Texas rig Senko and not 5 seconds after it hit the water a fish slammed it, so cool. As I was leaving I walked back under the willow tree and along the bank and I startled a bass that I did not see but was right against the shore in like a foot of water.

#23 Nov-02-14 5:10PM

KevinJ
Northern Snakehead

Hi everyone.  I just joined the board.  I've been fishing the area lakes and ponds for several years now and stumbled across this one in Brambleton back in the summer. 

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been doing exceptionally well fishing a rattle trap slowly in both deep and shallow water, particularly in the south part of the lake.  Yesterday, I caught about 17-18 in about an hour this way.  Last week was very similar.  Anyway, thought I'd share so that others could get in on the action!  None have been very big (all in the pound range) but the action is very consistent.

Can you walk all the way around this pond?  I always get a little weirded out walking near houses.

#24 Nov-02-14 5:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

Welcome aboard Kevin!!

#25 Nov-03-14 10:49AM

Kicknstang

Yes you can Kevin. The pond is open to all Brambleton residents and their guests for catch and release fishing. All Brambleton ponds are but this is the best one I have found so far. Anyone ever try the small, square pond off of Legacy Park Dr. with the gazebo on it? I keep driving by on my way to this one and wonder if it is worth stopping at. Kevin- what color trap are you using? I was thinking about tying one on if I get out this week at all.

Board footer