Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-04-14 6:25PM

Ernie
Administrator

8-4-14, Cedar BGs....

I made about 30 casts with my 3 top flies (using a 4wt)  and could only score 1 BG and a teeny bass. They were showing me no love tonight....but I then switched to a beat up black ant and that was the ticket......15 BGs in 20 casts and I continued to hammer them until a big one cut me off. Not sure what it was but it was a nice fish!

So I put on a fresh black ant and caught a bunch more beofre being cut off again. I need to remember to check the line after catching 30 or so BGs...they fray the line.

I then tied on a fire ant and kept catching. I wish I had a measuring device and camera tonight because the hump heads were chomping...when the little ones didn't beat them to the ant.

Beautiful sunset over at Cedar......just imagine it since I didn't take pictures.

It was a good night indeed!

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Aug-05-14 5:00AM

LouisD

Re: 8-4-14, Cedar BGs....

Was at Cedar yesterday afternoon with two of my kids and we pulled lots and lots of BG.  Could barely drop the worm in the water without a BG hopping on.  Some decent size.  As we were leaving I happened to look down at the lake an in the very shallow part up by the road was an enormous fish (I would have to say at least 2 feet, though hard to judge) swimming very slowly.  Any idea what's in there?  Are there big Carp in Cedar, because that's what it most looked like from that far, but it looked somehow armored...

#3 Aug-05-14 5:18AM

Ernie
Administrator

There are some big grass carp and koi in Cedar. The koi are white and orange, The carp are dark and really big!

#4 Aug-05-14 5:42AM

LouisD

I guess it was a carp, though shape wise it looked longer and thinner than what I expect from a carp.  Of course I was standing pretty far away.  Never fished for Carp, although since my boys saw the size of the thing they really want to try and catch it.

#5 Aug-05-14 6:57AM

Ernie
Administrator

Ask Khahn about fishing for those grass carp....he sat in a chair for HOURS trying to catch one. Grass carp and koi are almost impossible to catch.  Much different than the common carp.

#6 Aug-05-14 7:17AM

LouisD

Well, that's good to hear.  I love a good challenge!  The problem that I saw yesterday is that no matter what bait I was putting out there, the BG tore it apart in moments.  Nothing lasts more than a few seconds in the water.

#7 Sep-04-14 2:21PM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Louis, let's us know if you have luck with those grass carp or koi. I will bow at your feet and call you master if you ever catch one..lol

#8 Sep-05-14 5:25AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

lol khanh!

#9 Sep-05-14 5:44AM

Ernie
Administrator

I bet Khanh dreams in carp!

#10 Sep-06-14 4:30PM

Fishfry
Northern Snakehead

The Asian Grass Carp can be caught....just remember they are pure vegetarians....and they die from stress very easily....so if you catch one, get it back in the water quickly.  The Asian Grass Carp in the Ashburn Lakes are "Triploid Carp"...which means they've been sterilized before being planted, so when they die, that's it...there will be no more.  They were put in the lake to control the vegetation...which they do nicely in Cedar and the Pavilion.

How were they sterilized...well if you want a "Leg crossing moment"...they had an "electrical current applied."  Yes men, they had a cattle prod placed against their balls...(little balls). :-P

There are some Koi swimming around and I saw a dead one floating around the other day....they can be caught too....think "fish pellets."

If you really want to catch one....make sure you gear up....they are about 40lbs in the Pavilion and probably 25lbs. in Cedar.

I told Ernie how to catch one the other day......

Board footer