Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-12-14 4:07PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Chesapeake Flats 8/9-8/10

We set up camp on Gwynn's Island late Friday night, and Saturday morning I headed south for some flats fishing. This was my first saltwater trip since May, so I was pretty excited.

I launched at 6am and trolled a redfish magic spinnerbait as I paddled to my first spot. That quickly produced a schoolie striper in the 20" range. Not a bad start. Got to my spot on a grass flat and started throwing a topwater lure, and within 5 minutes had a 15" speck. I wasn't expecting much trout action on this trip so that was a pleasant surprise.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/Mobjackspeck1.jpg

Stayed with the topwater for at least another hour and had a couple more more bites, but nothing connected except this guy. The birds were really obnoxious, they dive-bombed my lures constantly.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/Tern.jpg

For the next several hours I played around with a popping cork and gulp combo. I used an 18" leader from the float, a 1/8oz jighead, and whatever gulp I pulled out of the tub first. Mullet, shrimp, minnow, didn't seem to matter. This caught more speckled trout up to 15", sand perch, croaker, and blowfish. Some of the trout were the smallest I've ever seen...made me wish I had a saltwater aquarium.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/Mobjackspeck2.jpg

I threw the topwater some more too, but that only produced one small bluefish and a single missed trout strike. I was surprised not to see any reds. The weather was great all day, 80s with a mix of sun and overcast, and not too much wind. I pulled out at 4:30pm.

Sunday

Sunday I put in at the same spot at 5:30am. The water was flat calm and I was excited for some topwater action. Well, that never really happened. 2 hours of walking the dog only produced some half-hearted boils and no real bites. So I switched up to the popping cork setup and quickly caught two 15-16" trout and lost a couple more.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/Mobjackspeck5.jpg

I took a long break to stand up in my yak and push around, scanning the flats for any sign of redfish, but they were nowhere to be found. Lots of life in the grass though; baitfish, crabs, terrapins, and stingrays were plentiful.

Went back to fishing and caught a bunch more trout. Most were the little aquarium-size specks but I also landed a few more keeper sized fish. I took my limit of 5.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/Mobjackspecklimit.jpg

Pulled out at 4pm on a very low tide. There were tiny marsh crabs all over the launch, some of them were so small you could barely see them. Very cool.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/Tinymarshcrab.jpg

After dinner the GF and I hit the pier at the campground. It was a pretty nice pier and even has lights pointed at the water for night fishing. We did some crabbing and I jigged a little bit to see what fish were around. Had some little bluefish bite the tails off my lures but didn't hook anything. We did catch and release several blue crabs though, some of which were more than big enough to keep if we had wanted to.

It was a very nice weekend, I got to do plenty of fishing and couldn't have asked for better weather. Can't wait to go back!

tight lines

#2 Aug-12-14 5:11PM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Re: Chesapeake Flats 8/9-8/10

Did you try the bridge ?

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#3 Aug-12-14 5:53PM

Ernie
Administrator

Excellent report and results!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Aug-12-14 8:07PM

drxfish
Patagonian Toothfish

Good stuff!!  Nice specks!

Always wishin' I was fishin'

#5 Aug-13-14 6:49AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

captmikestarrett wrote:

Did you try the bridge ?

Capt Mike

Nah, the only fishing I did on the island was at the camp pier. There were boats fishing by the bridge every time we drove over though.

tight lines

#6 Aug-13-14 8:14AM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

Wow looks like it was a great trip! Thanks for sharing.

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#7 Aug-14-14 2:56AM

HoleyRockofTX
Website

Looks like you have a great trip.  Thanks for sharing.

#8 Aug-21-14 8:21AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Really nice report Bryan.

Speck action has been really slow lately so I'm really gald you got ito them. Knowing that there are a lot of little ones is good news for the future!

Two questions for ya:
1) What kind of kayak do you have? I'm looking for a paddle kayak that I can stand on for hunting Potomac Pike in the shallows.

2) What is the camp ground called that you stayed at? I'm looking into a nice place to take the family camping at the end of September or EArly October...

Thanks!

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#9 Aug-21-14 9:38AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

AbuMasgouf wrote:

Really nice report Bryan.

Speck action has been really slow lately so I'm really gald you got ito them. Knowing that there are a lot of little ones is good news for the future!

Two questions for ya:
1) What kind of kayak do you have? I'm looking for a paddle kayak that I can stand on for hunting Potomac Pike in the shallows.

2) What is the camp ground called that you stayed at? I'm looking into a nice place to take the family camping at the end of September or EArly October...

Thanks!

I paddle a Wilderness Systems Ride 135.

We stayed at Gwynn's Island RV resort. It's definitely not a typical campground, it's 99% RVs and trailers. They only had one small area for actual camping.

tight lines

#10 Aug-21-14 10:58AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Yeah I did a quick search when I read your post and that what I saw. Would you recommend that or something else for first time campers?

So you can stand on the ride 135 with no trouble? I was looking at the OK Trident 13 since it seems lighter than the ride but I can't find a used on on Craigslist.

Hey Bob if your reading this, keep an eye out for a used OK Trident 13 for me. LOL I owe my used Revo all to you bro! You found that deal and posted it for me! Still can't thank you enough! big_smile

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#11 Aug-21-14 12:35PM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

AbuMasgouf wrote:

Yeah I did a quick search when I read your post and that what I saw. Would you recommend that or something else for first time campers?

So you can stand on the ride 135 with no trouble? I was looking at the OK Trident 13 since it seems lighter than the ride but I can't find a used on on Craigslist.

Hey Bob if your reading this, keep an eye out for a used OK Trident 13 for me. LOL I owe my used Revo all to you bro! You found that deal and posted it for me! Still can't thank you enough! big_smile

Gwynn's Island is kinda cool because it's just an isolated little community right on the bay. But as far as the campground itself, meh. It's not a "real" campground. There was a nice little pier, and a camp store (which I think might be the only store on the island), but the place definitely caters more to their RV/trailer occupants. I will probably be going back soon, just because I don't know anywhere else in the area.

If you're still considering other locations, my favorite place to camp has always been at Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware. It's very family friendly, there is tons to do in the area, and of course there's great fishing.

I'm 6' 205lbs and I can stand in the Ride fairly well if the water is calm, I wouldn't do it on a choppy day though. I did fall out once last time when I bent over to try to poke a stingray with my paddle. tongue

tight lines

#12 Aug-21-14 1:02PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Bryan wrote:

AbuMasgouf wrote:

Gwynn's Island is kinda cool because it's just an isolated little community right on the bay. But as far as the campground itself, meh. It's not a "real" campground. There was a nice little pier, and a camp store (which I think might be the only store on the island), but the place definitely caters more to their RV/trailer occupants. I will probably be going back soon, just because I don't know anywhere else in the area.

If you're still considering other locations, my favorite place to camp has always been at Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware. It's very family friendly, there is tons to do in the area, and of course there's great fishing.

I'm 6' 205lbs and I can stand in the Ride fairly well if the water is calm, I wouldn't do it on a choppy day though. I did fall out once last time when I bent over to try to poke a stingray with my paddle. tongue

I love CHSP! I was thinking south though to get a little warmer water... Maybe Kiptopeke...

I like the ride and all the accessory rails. My only concern is the weight (listed at 82lbs). I hunt for SH in the summer and the month of Ramadan (where Muslims fast) is going to fall in the summer for the next few years. I can tolerate carrying my Revo and car top it while I'm fasting, but any heavier and I'd have a rough time... the OK Trident 13 is listed at 62lbs which is a good weight...

Thanks for the thoughts bro!

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

#13 Aug-22-14 5:51AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Bryan wrote:

I paddle a Wilderness Systems Ride 135.

Abu FYI - I'm really kicking around the idea of getting a 135 & installing a trolling motor on it.  If I can find a Torquedo for  cheap ....

#14 Aug-22-14 6:54AM

Ernie
Administrator

hookup wrote:

Abu FYI - I'm really kicking around the idea of getting a 135 & installing a trolling motor on it.  If I can find a Torquedo for  cheap ....

And this will be boat (yak) number?????

Time to go fishin' again!

#15 Aug-22-14 12:30PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

If you looking to setup a torquedo you should talk to Chad Hoover.  He is really doing amazing things with the Wilderness Systems yaks.  Look at http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/

#16 Aug-22-14 5:21PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

A Torquedo on any Kayak is Awesome! smile

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

Board footer