Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-12-13 5:59AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Muzzleloader season report

Here is my report!  I made up for missing out on archery Curly!!!  I haven't had much time this year to go out except for 1 morning of archery, so I decided to try a day out for muzzleloader.  Went out to Front Royal and ended up in a tree stand on the front side of my family property.  I had my buddy go with me (since I hate dragging a deer by myslef) and had him set up in the back in the woodline.  It was a little blustery and nothing seemed to move except for some birds and the squirrels.  I decided to bring my DSLR with me to take pictures and this is what popped out at 0800....she was a young doe and ran out like something was chasing her and she barely paused to look around.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/backtofuturetoyota/Deer_zps4a40d047.jpg

then I saw something coming out behind her about 100 yds from the treeline and could tell it was pretty big, so I put the camera down and picked up the 50 caliber blackpowder.  A nice size buck came running out at full speed and was not slowing down.  I'm not a trophy hunter, so it didn't matter to me that it was a buck.  But, this one had size on him.  He wasn't slowing down so I decided I had to give a try at stopping him, so I gave my best doe bleep I could (which really sounds like a goat) lol.  Well, it worked and he stopped in his tracks right in the last shooting lane I had on my furthest left side (between two trees 3 feet apart right in front of me).  I took a snap shot right on his vitals and once the smoke cleared, I could see that I made a quick and fatal shot.  This was the first thing I saw from the tree stand.....

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/backtofuturetoyota/DSC_6822_zps303771e2.jpg

I was greatful for the instant drop since I hate to make a bad shot making any animal suffer.  It was approximately a 75 yard shot. 

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/backtofuturetoyota/DeerKill_zps30a0b0dc.jpg

So, I call my hunting buddy and ask him to give me a hand since it was a little bigger than what I can handle on my own and he walks up from his stand to meet me by my truck.  We walked down the dirt road towards my kill and I'm telling him how it all occurred when I point to where the deer came out from when we see another deer standing at the woods edge!  He takes aim and makes the second kill of the day on a 100 yard shot.  It was about 30lbs bigger than mine....but the big thing we noticed was that these two bucks were almost identical....they were brothers!

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/backtofuturetoyota/PaulDeer_zps4b2b44bb.jpg

After the field dressing, and butchering.....we decided not to let the antlers go to waste and brought them home.  I think I'll clean mine up and use them for rattling next year!

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/backtofuturetoyota/Antlers_zpsa974413f.jpg

Last edited by backtofuturetoyota (Nov-12-13 6:20AM)

#2 Nov-12-13 6:21AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Muzzleloader season report

Congratulations! Nice shooting.

smile

#3 Nov-12-13 5:35PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Nice work. I have noticed this week that the bucks seem to be paired up with the does for the most part. I had one with his lady in front yard when I was going to work yesterday and tonight on the way home from work I saw one standing next to his girl in a field by the office.

I think I may have to call in sick on friday. I seem to be developing this eye problem where I just can't see myself not going hunting for the day.

#4 Nov-13-13 3:21PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Sweet deer Paul big_smile !  I'm not a trophy hunter either and hoping to get out either Friday on the last day of black powder............or on Saturday for the first day of regular gun season.  I may have found 1 acre of woods to hunt about an hour away.......don't know for sure yet?........mighty small area, but would sure beat sitting on the couch tongue .

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#5 Nov-14-13 4:12AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Yeah, finding a spot is the hard part around here!  I really enjoy archery hunting more than anything, but it's not easy to find a place in the local area. lol.  I'm working on getting permission from a friend down in Stafford who owns 40+ acres.  We'll see what comes of it since I only need one deer a year, I just enjoy being outdoors.   I recall most deer in the Quantico region (Stafford included) are pretty small, but tasty! Good luck this week curly.

Board footer