Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-27-13 12:13PM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

Sprinkler Controller Saving Water!

I know this isn't about 'fish' conservation but it is about water conservation.  I have been working the last year to create an automatic sprinkler controller which will save people a lot of money and water.  It controls your in-ground sprinklers for you and you never need to touch it!  If you think it is a cool idea, please consider contributing!  Also, please spread the word!

www.getgreenrain.com

#2 Oct-27-13 2:38PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Sprinkler Controller Saving Water!

Have you considered Shark Tank?

The producers of the ABC reality series Shark Tank are on a nationwide search to discover the next successful (and possibly wealthy) entrepreneurs, inventors, businesspersons, creators and innovators. In each episode, budding entrepreneurs are given the unprecedented chance to make their business grow immediately.

Whether you just have a fantastic idea, are a start up or already operating successfully and looking to expand, if you feel you have a lucrative business or product and could use financial backing, then Shark Tank is just the show for you. Casting is looking for entrepreneurs who can pitch their breakthrough business concepts, products, properties and services to moguls in hopes of landing investment funds. If selected, five self-made, brilliant but tough investors (the Sharks) could be willing to part with their own hard-earned cash to give you the funding you need to jumpstart your venture. But the Sharks aren't just out to invest; they too have a goal -- to own a piece.

Your business or product should be top-notch and something the Sharks will really want to sink their teeth into. It might even spark a bidding war between them. Who knows? You could be the fortunate entrepreneur who gets the Sharks to reveal their true level of interest and to bid up the price of your investment!

Apply now for your chance to enter the Shark Tank and see if your idea is good enough for a Shark investment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE - IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THE FOLLOWING DO NOT APPLY:

By making an email submission, you acknowledge and agree that you are making a submission solely for purposes of being considered by Finnmax LLC, Sony Pictures Television, Inc., American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. and their respective affiliated or related entities (collectively "Shark Tank Entities") to be a participant on Shark Tank and will not receive any compensation or credit for making a submission. BY MAKING AN EMAIL SUBMISSION, YOU ARE ACCEPTING AND AGREEING TO THE ABC.COM TERMS OF USE You understand that your email submission is not confidential nor submitted in confidence or trust and no confidential or fiduciary relationship is intended or created by making an email submission. You understand that the Shark Tank Entities are diversified companies who may possess or come to possess information similar or identical to information contained in your email submission, and you agree that any such similarity or identity shall not give rise to any claim or entitlement, whether for compensation, credit or otherwise. By making an email submission, you hereby release the Shark Tank Entities and their respective directors, officers, shareholders, members, employees, and licensees from any and all claims relating to your email submission.

Be sure to include your name, age, contact info, a recent photo (no larger than 1 MB) and a brief description of your business product or idea.

#3 Oct-28-13 3:55AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Have you thought about using your system on a well-based home?

My home uses well water and my system is large (47 zones with 225 heads) and already has a rain sensor controller installed. Because my water is free, your controller wouldn't save me money. But it would seem to offer other benefits regarding the elimination of unneeded watering cycles, reducing the demands on the well and hence reducing the risk of running low on water, helping keep the house pressure up because of less time with the system running while house demands are concurrent, extending the life of the well pump and any booster pumps, etc.

I know many people who have systems, and it seems like the ones who use them the most are people on wells. You may want to size this audience to see if it would expand the market potential for your controller. Local irrigation system installers (like K-T Irrigation) could easily give you some market data regarding how many of each type of system they've installed. If this potential market looks good, you can modify your pitch to include them and hence broaden your appeal to potential investors. I also believe that installation companies would see your product as helpful for them trying to sell their systems; so you may want to approach them for seed money.

Just my two cents worth...

Bruce

#4 Oct-28-13 6:41AM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

T.  Yes, I have already applied smile  I think it is a great product for Shark Tank.

Hi Bruce.  Thanks for the very thorough reply and thoughts on the system.  Yes, I have actually tested it on a system which contains a well pump and it works very well.  In the setup process, I ask if they will be connecting a pump.  Interesting that you think most people with systems are pulling from a well.  I will have to do some more digging into the statistics around that. 

I have thought about going to the installation companies and talking over my system as I think that is the true way to break into the market.  Right now I am in discussions with a company building houses and they are going to try and pitch it as a simple add-on when someone has a house built.  Great idea on how to size the market - I am definitely going to look into that.

Thanks!

#5 Oct-29-13 3:38AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

BillyBigMouth wrote:

Interesting that you think most people with systems are pulling from a well.  I will have to do some more digging into the statistics around that. 

Thanks!

My observation regarding users on wells probably relates to the fact that people with public water don't want to run their systems as often or as long as they should once they get their first water bill after installing their systems. Well users don't have this problem as they see their usage as "free". It's not that "most users are pulling from a well"....it's really that most people with wells aren't deterred from running their systems properly because water to them is free. I even known some people on public water who have systems but don't run them because they can't afford the higher water bills.

Last edited by Bruce (Oct-29-13 3:42AM)

#6 Oct-29-13 8:46AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

That is a cool device and beats the rainbird sensor hands down.  I have seen my neighbors sprinklers turn on at night after it has poured all day long. people love things like this. Think about how many people have remote programmable thermostats for the house now, lock and unlock door from their smart phone etc.

Speaking on thermostats, my senior design project almost 18 years ago was a programmable thermostat. My parent's kept in on the wall for about a month before my sister pitched a fit about it looking like crap and how it was going to ruin her engagement party.  The mass of wires, soldier blobs, and the processor wasn't nearly as good looking as yours.

#7 Oct-29-13 7:23PM

BillyBigMouth
Northern Snakehead

Great thoughts, Bruce.  I almost see the residence market as the smallest one.  I see companies, property managers and golf courses being the huge market who need to run their sprinklers.

Haha that is hilarious, NOVAhunter.  Sounds very familiar to my childhood project experiences.  I think mine is getting better looking but I am trying to make it look even better.  Right now I think it is intimidating for some.

Board footer