Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-26-13 5:57AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Virginia Stocked Trout Management plan. Public input wanted

From the DGIF Website:

The VDGIF invites public input on the beginning stages of the Virginia Stocked Trout Management Plan. The Plan will be the result of the joint work of VDGIF, a Stakeholder Advisory Committee (citizen volunteers who represent a cross-section of public interests), and Virginia Tech. The plan will include management goals that reflect stakeholder values, specific objectives designed to attain each goal, as well as potential, general strategies for attaining objectives. The Plan will provide broad guidance for the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries and VDGIF staff for managing stocked trout waters. The Plan will inform, but not replace, the existing process for setting seasons and regulations.

Development of the Plan is part of a larger process of evaluating the VDGIF stocked trout program, which will address the following questions:

What can be done to improve angler satisfaction with trout fishing and management in Virginia?
    Why are trout license sales declining?
    How many stocked trout do anglers catch and harvest?

There are a number of meetings coming up.
Meeting dates and locations here:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/tr … ment-plan/

I plan to attend the meeting in Culpeper.

tight lines

#2 Sep-26-13 6:05AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Virginia Stocked Trout Management plan. Public input wanted

Thanks for posting this....

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Sep-26-13 1:40PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

I love the delayed harvest streams in NC, I wish VA had more and the resources to enforce c&r

#4 Sep-27-13 4:54AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Yeah, poaching is a problem. I'd probably fish Accotink Creek and Holmes run more often, but I'm always worried the fish will be gone within a couple days of stocking.

tight lines

#5 Sep-30-13 4:28AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Yeah, I don't even bother fishing accotink or any other "urban" fisheries for trout because of the combination of poaching and numbers stocked.  I'd ride my mountain bike along the shores right after stocking to get the reports and it was always poor.

#6 Sep-30-13 8:51AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

On a related note, trout stocking starts tomorrow. I'll probably fish for them this weekend, and maybe chase some wild ones if I have time.

tight lines

#7 Oct-23-13 5:08AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Learned some stuff at the meeting last night, it was a good time for a fish nerd like me. The DGIF still is very interested to hear what fishermen have to say about the stocking program, good or bad. Comments can be submitted online.

tight lines

#8 Oct-23-13 6:07AM

Ernie
Administrator

Bryan- a neighborhood kid is going trout fishing this weekend and was asking me what to use. I have not trout fished in 30 years!

What are some bait suggestions for a relatively new fisherman?

#9 Oct-23-13 7:13AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

In lakes and ponds I like spoons the best. Little Cleos are great, and Super Dupers work like magic. Spoons cast far and trout love the wobble.

In creeks I like Panther Martin spinners or trout magnets. Cast and retrieve slowly.

Most people fish with Berkley Powerbait. Cover a small hook with PB and put a small sinker about 1' up the line. Cast and wait.

I've gone a few times already this year. I get a lot of requests for smoked trout dip.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/BryanL857/SmokedTrout.jpg

tight lines

#10 Oct-23-13 7:44AM

Ernie
Administrator

So what is your dip?

Many years ago I went trout fishing in Riodoso NM and they used a horseradish/coolwhip concoction....it was good.

#11 Oct-23-13 8:34AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

1 part smoked trout, 1 part cream cheese, and green onions are the foundation. The rest changes depending on what I have on hand. Horseradish sounds like an awesome addition. No so sure about Cool Whip LOL.

Really, as long as you use those first three ingredients, it's good!

tight lines

#12 Oct-23-13 4:05PM

firemunkee
Patagonian Toothfish

It seems like all of the trout waters are at least an hour west of Ashburn according to the DGIF website. Does anyone know of any spots closer?

Together we'll fight the long defeat.

#13 Oct-24-13 3:45AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

They stock the waters in the local area like Locust Shade (across from Quantico), Accotink, and I believe a few places near reston.  I always trout fish down at Ft AP hill.  It's the best place for heavy stockings with trout that range from 12-20+ inches.  I saw a guy pull out a 5lbs trout last year.  Anyway, some are VDGIF and others are not.  If you want wild trout....go west!  These are all farm raised and stocked.

#14 Oct-24-13 5:13AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Cook Lake in Alexandria or Holmes run and Accotink Creek in Fairfax county. Those might be closer.

Also, Lake Thompson in Northern Fauquier county is probably a little less than an hour away from Ashburn. We talked about that lake quite a bit...

tight lines

Board footer