Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#26 Jul-02-08 5:22AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Independence Day float

Andrew,

Bring him along, there is plenty of water but remember, we start by going upstream!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#27 Jul-02-08 5:48AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

AndrewDo124 wrote:

I might neeed him to pull be around if i get too tired =P

Hey Andrew, no complaining. You'll be leading the pack out there on "feel the burn", which by now you shouldn't be feeling as much because your legs are probably the size of a running back.  wink

The other advantage you'll have is that you should be able to keep yourself in position in the current peddling while you have both hands free. You should be able to get several shots at likely looking structure.

In any case, read my post on bass resource about working the tube in the river. Learn it, live it, love it. By the way don't forget your buzzbaits for the early morning topwater bite.

Last edited by Paul Naj (Jul-02-08 5:48AM)

#28 Jul-02-08 6:01AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

redskinsfan360 wrote:

For all to know I was just at the Potomac around 12 in the afternoon...did not catch anything but I got a good look at the conditions.  The water is shallow and really clear.  I can see all the way down in most places.  It is really rocky (blew out a prop on a rock and couldn't get up on plane on the way home so it took forever to get back to the ramp.)  Their are also lots of fallen trees on the banks.

The gage at point of rocks is at 1.71ft That's a good summer height.
The fallen trees on the banks hold carp. Look for the deeper holes with structure in the middle. Keep in mind you won't find anything much deeper then 4-5ft in most stretches.
I would not run on plane with a prop. You could hit a rock and flip. I know some guys do but I am a chicken and A prop is one thing, but breaking  a lower unite would not be good. Put someone in front to look for boulders and slow down there is plenty of good fishing close to the ramps.

Last edited by jumping jasper (Jul-02-08 10:45AM)

smile

#29 Jul-02-08 6:03AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Speaking of buzzbaits, I read a short article in this months issue of BASS Master.  I thought I would share it wiht you since you have been recommended to use it.

1. Vary your speed until you see what the fish are striking.

2. If it is windy remove the skirt and add a trailer so it is easier to cast.

3. In clear water use faster speeds with a smaller size buzzbait.  The faster speeds will distort the image.

4. Slightly bend the wire between the blade and the line tie to make the bait go off center.

5. Change color if you are not getting any strikes

6. Follow a miss on the buzzbait with a vertical presentation, such as a texas rigged senko.

#30 Jul-02-08 7:48AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I am lacking in the life jacket department too.

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#31 Jul-02-08 7:51AM

Ernie
Administrator

Coz,

I can get a jacket from my boat which is stored right there at Algonkian. Let me know if you want to try the yak and I will bring it. It only has one rod holder but it's fast and stable.

Ernie

#32 Jul-02-08 11:31AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

I've got 2 extra life vest, i'll bring those along just in case they're needed.

Thanks for the advice Paul, I read your post on BR and am pretty excited to get out there. Looks like you were using 4.5" coffee tubes with tube jigs. I'm guessing it's not as "snaggy" as beaverdam?

#33 Jul-02-08 11:37AM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

redskinsfan360 wrote:

Speaking of buzzbaits, I read a short article in this months issue of BASS Master.  I thought I would share it wiht you since you have been recommended to use it.

1. Vary your speed until you see what the fish are striking.

2. If it is windy remove the skirt and add a trailer so it is easier to cast.

3. In clear water use faster speeds with a smaller size buzzbait.  The faster speeds will distort the image.

4. Slightly bend the wire between the blade and the line tie to make the bait go off center.

5. Change color if you are not getting any strikes

6. Follow a miss on the buzzbait with a vertical presentation, such as a texas rigged senko.

All good advice although I've never tried #2.  I think the real key for me with buzzbaits is to find the right tackle to throw it with. In addition to needing a rod that can cast it with accuracy, you want to be comfortable in engaging the reel the split second BEFORE the bait hits the water so you can start your retrieve immediately so the bait is on top and not below the surface. I'm a fan of the slowest retrieve possible where the blade and bait still have the "right" action. In addition, you want to overcast your target so that you are retrieving it on top of the structure you think is holding fish. My number one tip that I can give you is to add a trailer or "stinger" hook to the back, it will significantly improve your hookup and landing ratio to hits. Bigger fish have an amazing ability to throw the hook without it. I’m a big fan of the Booyah buzzbait with the clacker. It’s reasonably priced and they seem to be drawn to the sound of the clacker.

#34 Jul-02-08 3:58PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I am willing to try the 'yak. Thanks for the willingness to let me give it a try. I figure one rod holder would be perfect. One for the extra rod that is not in my hands. I am sure it will take some getting used to in terms of sitting legs extended and setting the hook but I like a good challenge.

Thanks to all who are willing to share a life jacket. I look forward to meeting the group Friday morning.

#35 Jul-02-08 4:10PM

Ernie
Administrator

CozUF2001 wrote:

I am sure it will take some getting used to in terms of sitting legs extended and setting the hook but I like a good challenge.

Plus you will be moving....it's not hard but it does take some getting used to. You will definitely get some exercise on Friday!

Ernie

#36 Jul-03-08 4:18AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

In the event that I can convince my sister to "let" my brother-in-law participate, could that be accommodated? The likelihood is small, but it is worth a shot. He is more of a fly-fisherman, but might enjoy the opportunity to get out.

#37 Jul-03-08 6:33AM

SimonSays

Extremely excited about this trip! Hoping to land some nice smallies.  If there's room I might bring my fly rod along, I'm pretty much a novice so if you see me making a huge mistake don't hesitate to correct me! I need to learn! big_smile

#38 Jul-03-08 8:05AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

My brother-in-law is available. Can I upgrade to the canoe and work that with him?

#39 Jul-03-08 9:53AM

Ernie
Administrator

Coz- I will load up the canoe!!

Simon Says- you are riding w/ Andrew?

Ernie

#40 Jul-03-08 3:31PM

SimonSays

Yep, I'll be riding there with Andrew

#41 Jul-03-08 5:24PM

Ernie
Administrator

SimonSays wrote:

Yep, I'll be riding there with Andrew

Same boat? Or are you in need of a ride?

Ernie

#42 Jul-03-08 6:10PM

SimonSays

Yep I'll be riding with Andrew in the tandem hobie, thanks for the offer big_smile

Board footer