Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-04-13 8:39AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Crappie Recipes

Hey everyone,

I posted this on another forum after a couple of people asked me to put up recipes I was using for Crappie (as another option in place of breading and frying). So here is what I came up with...

Just a note, I cook a lot and never have any set measurements. I taste as I go and adjust based on what I and my family enjoy. So what I have is a list of ingredients and the preparation steps I took. Use them as a guide to create what you and your family enjoys... Alif Aafeyaa! (1,000 times to good health)

On a side note, I do have to say the titles are less than appetizing all due to the name of the fish! LOL! smile

Crappie Curry

I forgot to take a picture of this but it turned out awesome!

Crappie fillets (or whole, cleaned and descaled)
1 carton of vegetable broth (I use the organic whole foods brand)
1 can of coconut milk (cream is better if you can find it... ArroyD brand is good)
*Both of the above items are dependent on how much fish you have, if you have less fish, use less of each.
pinch turmeric powder (a little goes a long way)
paprika powder
cumin powder
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon of sugar
a few squirts of fish sauce
onions
garlic
cilantro

Steps:
1) In a pot saute onions, garlic, cumin powder, paprika powder, and turmeric powder in a little oil until onions are translucent.
2) add fish sauce, vegetable broth, and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
3) add tomato paste and sugar, mix well, lower the heat and add the Crappie.
4) let simmer for 15 minutes on med-low heat
5) before you serve add the cilantro, stir and enjoy!

Note: You can always make it spicy by adding thai or serrano peppers. When available I would substitute Thai basil for the cilantro.

Crappie Fish and Chips
(This is based on my personal fish and chips recipe... UK got nothin’ on me!)

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/20130121_184835_zpsb5e1dcea.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/20130121_184901_zps094dbf33.jpg

Crappie fillets

Dry coat
flour
sea salt
black pepper
dried basil leaves

Wet coat

flour
cumin powder
garlic powder
21 no salt spice mix (I use the organic one that costco sells)
pinch turmeric powder (for color)
paprika powder
a few squirts of fish sauce (or sea salt)
black and white pepper
red vinegar (This makes a really nice crunch! I put enough so that when I taste the mixture its distinctively sour)
dried basil leaves
carbonated mineral water

Note: the mixture should be thick but runny.

Steps:
1) mix the dry coat ingredients and toss the Crappie until all the pieces are completely covered.
2) mix the wet coat ingredients and dip the dry coated Crappie in the wet coat and then deep fry.

I keep my oil at around 320 when frying fish... at least that’s what work the best in my really old fryer smile

Don’t forget to serve with malt vinegar!

Fries

Wash the cut potatoes and soak them in water and white vinegar (again water should taste kind of sour). Deep fry at the highest temperature your fryer will do. Then coat with old bay

Oven Roasted Crappie with Fennel

(My family and I started chomping down before I remembered to take a picture... so ignore some of the missing parts of the dish LOL big_smile )

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/20130203_195105_zps525c931c.jpg

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Cooking/20130203_195026_zps51320771.jpg

Fennel bed
fennel bulbs (2-4 depending on how many you’re serving... I like to also use the stalk)
olive oil
sea salt
black and white pepper

Crappie rub
Crappie fillets
lemon salt (TJ’s brand)
paprika powder
garlic powder (you can substitute chopped garlic.. I was just lazy tongue )
cumin powder
sea salt
olive oil
cilantro

Steps:
1) Oil the casserole dish to prevent sticking
2) Chop up fennel and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper and lay in the casserole dish
3) Rub the crappie with all the “Crappie rub” ingredients and lay on fennel bed
4) Bake in the oven for 15 minutes (don’t follow me for the temperature, LOL!, I usually bake everything at 450) and broil for a few minutes to brown the top a bit.

Note: If you don’t like fennel you can always substitute another green you prefer. The fish (w/rub) can also stand alone.

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#2 Feb-04-13 9:33AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Crappie Recipes

Those are some excellent suggestions.....I usually take the easy way as I don't like to take away from the flavor of the fish but these are nice.

Thanks for posting!!

I am going to move it to the library so that it's easier to reference.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Feb-04-13 11:43AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Which easy way do you like? I'm always looking to learn different ways

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#4 Feb-04-13 12:03PM

Ernie
Administrator

Saute with EVO and very few spices....maybe add some onions. Squirt of lime.

Or, coat with very fine cracker meal (hard to get except in Miami) and pan fry in oil.  Squirt of lime.

I generally do not like to bake my fish....grill or saute mostly.

When cooking fresh tuna...well that's another topic because I can't really say I cook it as I like it VERY rare.

Time to go fishin' again!

#5 Feb-04-13 12:17PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Pacemaker wrote:

When cooking fresh tuna...well that's another topic because I can't really say I cook it as I like it VERY rare.

That makes two of us!

Mustafa
2016 Hobie Outback

Board footer