Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-27-13 6:11AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Trolling Alabama Rig in Lake Anna for Stripers – Jan 26, 2013

It was a cold day (24-35F).  Initially I planned to troll for stripers in the cold side by Dike 3. 
While driving to Dike 3, I recognized that I didn’t bring the waterproof gloves.  I learned that wet hands below 32F (Air) never been good to me in the past.  When I see ice covered creeks in the north Lake Anna while driving, I changed the plan.  I went to the cozy warm side of Lake Anna.  I didn’t want to get skunked especially fishing in the cold day in the cold side of Lake Anna.
I bought an Alabama rig to troll for small stripers (20" range) in Lake Anna, VA.  Stripers weren't stocked in the warm side. But somehow some stripers made to the warm side from the cold side.  So far we caught only two at 19 and 22 inches for last 2 years.
I added a 4oz inline sinker to the Alabama rig so that it can sink while trolling.  The rig sank about 1.6' per line travel from one side to the other on the baitcasting reel
Well, I didn't catch any stripers. I caught 2 LM and 2 WP for 5 hour trolling.

The video fishing log:
http://youtu.be/z0yw0cFoQdE

#2 Jan-27-13 8:26AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Trolling Alabama Rig in Lake Anna for Stripers – Jan 26, 2013

Joe,

You continue to amaze me. I might recommend that you put that inline sinker up the line a bit, I think it would help stabilize the A-rig. That is what the bay trollers do with their umbrella rigs so that they can get a more natural presentation.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jan-27-13 10:38AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Ernie,
Thanks for the tip.  I will do that.  I will hit the cold side next time launching from Dike 3.  In the past I caught several stripers at16-21 inches at dike 3 by trolling Stretch 20 (white with red head).  I still can't figure out how the Lake Anna stripers react to lures.  Obviously they act differently from the Bay stripers (to me).

In the cold side, I will troll only one tandem rig with the Alabama rig.  I think I will try two crank-baits on the top and bottom

#4 Jan-27-13 11:54AM

Ernie
Administrator

Anna stripers are very different than bay stripers....they have frustrated me for years. The Toothache spoon is one of the lures of choice down there because it looks like a threadfin shad. i think they like a smaller profile or live bait!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer