Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-19-13 9:08PM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Occoquan 1/19/13

After months of enjoying his videos, I got the opportunity to fish with the guy who inspired me to get a kayak. I finally got to fish with ComeOnFish! On top of that I got to be in his video! It's like a fairytale! LOL!!! lol

Man what a day!

ComeOnFish, Redfish12, a couple of others and I fished the Occoquan for Crappie and flathead catfish. I'll let each tell their story but without spoiling anything, Redfish12 has a sweet one to share!

After royally getting skunked last week, ComeOnFish put me through school, and man did it pay off! I caught 14 keeper crappie and one mighty blue gill. One of the crappie was 14" and put up an awesome fight!

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Fishing/IMAG0512_zps8e7dc046.jpg

Red and Chartreuse tube was the hot color (1/16th jig), and fish were biting at 5ft. I originally was using a slip bobber that Joe gave me to peg my line but it broke (I need more dock shooting lessons tongue), so I kept the slip knot (that Joe taught me how to tie) and used it to make sure I stayed in the 5ft range as I jigged. No joke, if I was 1.5 feet above or below 5ft, nothing bit. The other lesson of the day is low tide (outgoing). We got there early in the morning (incoming tide started at 7am) and the bite was almost completely shut off. At around 1pm or so it slowly picked up with the outgoing tide. Between 4-5pm it was hot with fish every other minute!

I finally broke my 3 fish limit on a kayak! LOL and I owe it all to Joe. In fact I owe this whole kayak fishing hobby of mine to Joe. Thank you Joe for making your videos and sharing knowledge and experience with all of us. Your generous nature and eagerness to share the joy of this great activity is sincerely appreciated bro!

Joe sent me his video and a few other pics to post (Warning: spoiler alert of Michael's sweet catch!):

http://youtu.be/x96eu2-xeIA

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Fishing/P1190069Mustafa22_zps49782832.jpg
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Fishing/P1190074Mustafa26_zpsd90eae1b.jpg
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a536/AbuMasgouf/Fishing/P1190043Michael24_zps0da022ed.jpg

Last edited by AbuMasgouf (Jan-20-13 9:25AM)

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#2 Jan-20-13 4:39AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Occoquan 1/19/13

We were talking about you guys at the fishing show. We talked and you guys took action...outstanding!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jan-20-13 5:52AM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

That is a beautiful looking crappie Mustafa. Did you guys have any luck with Flathead? What technique(s) were you employing for Flathead? That fish is on my bucket list for 2013.

#4 Jan-20-13 6:28AM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

If I were fishing for flatheads I'd use the white perch I catch at Beaverdam.  That's what worked for the channel cats in the Occoquan.

#5 Jan-20-13 7:17AM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

I always thought that Flathead only feed on live bait. Do you catch some nice sized cats in there?

#6 Jan-20-13 8:43AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Thanks gents!

Redfish12 and another kayaker (Jim) landed cats. I'll let Redfish12 give you the details. The setup I saw was a Carolina rig with a really heavy egg sinker. They were using bluegills but I don't know if they were cut or alive.

Last edited by AbuMasgouf (Jan-20-13 9:34AM)

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#7 Jan-20-13 2:52PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Thanks for posting Mustafa!

I caught the catfish on a cut bluegill given to me by one of the other anglers out that day. Fortunate for me! I had one live-lined under an eel float just off the bottom and the other on a fishfinder rig. The live bg got slowly picked up and dragged down but the bobber didn't pop like it was supposed to (I think braid twist, those things were not made for braid on a windy day) and the fish released the bg. Since it was dead I cut it in two and put it back out with one half on each line. The big cat hit my lighter rod (ugly stick medium action) which made for a fun fight. I guess since it was so cold there really wasn't too much of a fight, just felt like a log that wanted to stay on the bottom. Pretty awesome to catch one of those monsters though! We tried to measure length and we are calling it 44" (ruler wasn't large enough) and definitely heavy.

We always caught them on softshell crayfish in the new river. I wonder if that would work here?

#8 Jan-20-13 3:10PM

Ernie
Administrator

Great day out there guys....and a superb job on that flattie Michael!

#9 Jan-20-13 3:43PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Guess my post got deleted somehow????????

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#10 Jan-20-13 4:37PM

Ernie
Administrator

Curly wrote:

Guess my post got deleted somehow????????

If you did what I often do is write the post and then "think" you have posted only to find out you moved away before hitting the "submit" button.

Board footer