You are not logged in.
I met up with Karl Kakadalis....
....and Jeff Turner at 0600 at Pohick.
Jeff is the gent who in 2009 took a 50 day, 50 trophy water trek with his son.
The man can fish!
It was hot and humid as we started, only to get worse! But frankly, I thrive in this weather. I like it as long as I am dressed for it, hydrate and doing something fun! I know, it's nuts but it is what it is.
Our mission was to catch a snakehead. I will take the mystery out and tell you that we did not even see or hear one all day!
But so what, I was with two good friends and those pesky LMB kept us entertained!!
Jeff took the skunk off with a Zoom paddle tail swimbait, which we ran out of.
I followed with a nice 3 pounder using a Spike It Holographic soft stick bait.
His tail was a bit whacked....
Jeff was catching fish all along....
....and was always all smiles!
Mike Burkhart came alongside and we chatted a bit. He was having a good day and showed us how a few times....
....always good to chat with a good bass man!
A nice YP hit my chatterbait!
Jeff continued to catch them steady...
He had some misses too but he definitely had the touch.
We saw a lot of bass near the boat but they wanted nothing we threw at 'em. Most of our hits came from a bit further out.
I was getting worried because Carl had a goose egg but then.....
....he got his skunk off. Jeff and I looked at each other with great relief. By 11, it was really, really hot so we took a ride to cool off. We fished the mouth of Douge for a few minutes but only got a few faint bites so we called it a day and headed over to a nice and col Glory Days Grill.
Great time on the water again today....didn't get a snakie for Karl and Jeff but there's always next time (and there will be a next time!).
Nice fish, looks fun!
Nice fishin!! Gotta love Air Conditioning that requires throttling up a nice boat and letting the wind blow the heat away!
I saw many YP there, only the one s'nead that I mentioned.
For s'heads, check this out: http://www.bbcboards.net/potomac-bass-c … -hoss.html I think this was posted here somewhere. Pretty sure he caught it (email sent).
Glory Days in Burke? We stop there alot after fishing because I can park the boat easy near that bank, and its close to us.
Thanks for posting that pic. I was off the water by 11:15. Came home to find 25' of new bass boat carpet delivered to my door. Much needed renovations have begun with some free labor! But, sadly, that means no fishing trips for a while.
Last edited by mudkart (Jun-22-12 8:18PM)
Mike- can't wait to see the finished product. That is an extremely functional boat!
Ht the Glory Days in the shopping Center on Lorton Rd. right there where 95 rides over.
Here is an update, I did not know where else to post. Five months later, the boat is still not finished. Kids, full-time job, summer vacations really take up alot of time. Much of the time was spent on surface prep, i.e. dismantling the numerous pieces of aluminum (11 in the back deck alone!) then removing the old carpet and glue. I found an angle grinder the best solution for glue removal.
This shiny back deck is what it should look like before you install the new carpet.
I used Weldwood contact cement as glue and 20 oz carpet from boat carpet buys. That carpet is more dense than what was used by Tracker originally, so some fits on the lids were tight. Using contact cement can be tricky because once the two surfaces come into contact, that's it, no more movement. It has great benefits when attempting to carpet boats, however, in particular lids and other pieces with sharp corners and edges (no clamping required).
Obviously I'm not finished, but the large majority of the boat has been done. What remains is the front deck, finish the console, and finish installation of a 2-bank charger (no onboard charger Tracker, really?).
The cowling was in bad shape due to some abuse from the previous owner and/or exposure. So much so that I had resigned myself to sanding and repainting the thing. I first tried some touch-up auto paint, cleaning, polishing (Meguiars compound polish, orbital buffer) and some new decals (only $35 from Daryl @ Iguana Graphix http://www.iguanagrafix.com/, highly recommended!). It turned out better than I hoped, and saved alot of time and expense. It's not perfect, but works for me. I don't have any before pics, but lets say it was in worse shape (more paint chipped, gouged and scratched) than this 25 hp cowling that I'm also restoring.
Old decals come off best with judicious use of a heat gun.
Last edited by mudkart (Nov-17-12 6:34AM)
That's some good work!
yes, fine work indeed.
i like to see a guy make something for real, rather than just write a check
Just remember that game wardens that check lakes with a 10HP limit, know what a 9.9 HP motor looks like and know where to look on the motor (besides the decal) for the HP info.