Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-26-12 4:27PM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

Goose Creek at Sycolin

So stopped by goose creek on my way home.  walked under sycolin bridge between ashburn and leesburg and fished for 20 minutes.  one of the home owners saw me and came at me very agressively threating to kick my a** if i didnt leave immediately.  I was a moron for not seeing a non existant no trespassing sign.  Just a heads up to anyone who fishes there, this guy doesn't seem to be leveled headed about people on his property.  Im sure it happens alot and hes sick of it, but just becareful if you plan to fish there.

#2 Oct-27-12 6:16AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Re: Goose Creek at Sycolin

I doubt the homeowners own the property all the way to the creek's edge?  There must be an easement at the road and the creek, correct?  I am just guessing.

#3 Oct-27-12 3:16PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

As long as your IN the creek you're OK. 

http://www.fileupyours.com/files/274681/Fishing/Sycolin.jpg

#4 Oct-27-12 7:13PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

I am surprised.  Usually there are easements.  Good graphics though.  No way to get "IN" the creek to be legal unless you start way upstream.

#5 Oct-28-12 12:21PM

Ernie
Administrator

A long time ago, I used to fish there. Easy access and you could even park on the south side of the road by the bridge. But I rarely caught anything there...

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 Oct-28-12 2:31PM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

while i probably should not have been on his land, private property or not, this owner is intense....

Last edited by bart2puck (Oct-28-12 2:31PM)

#7 Oct-28-12 6:19PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

This is why I've contemplated floating my kayak down from Beaverdam to below the Sycolin bridge.  It would be an all day affair.  Getting back up would probably suck too.

#8 Oct-29-12 4:54AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

VDOT has a right of way that spans something like 20 on either side of a road (I don't remember the real number). Walking on that is fair game. Convincing an angry landowner who has probably seen his limit of things happening on his property is another. Also the creek is considered a navigable waterway in VA which means you are free to stand, sit, wade, or float your way through it.  I've seen people park on the west side of the bridge in front of the horse farms and carry canoes and kayaks down to the creek and thought long and hard about doing it myself.

#9 Oct-29-12 6:33AM

Ernie
Administrator

NOVAhunter wrote:

Also the creek is considered a navigable waterway in VA which means you are free to stand, sit, wade, or float your way through it.

This is the big fight regarding the Jackson River. Some landowners are evoking the King's Grant which says they own the river bed too....

Time to go fishin' again!

#10 Oct-29-12 7:20AM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

T.  We usually put in a evergreen mill and float to sycolin.  its about a 4 hour float.  2 or 3 sketchy areas to navigate,  tons of holes for fishing,  we usually do quite well. we get out like NOVA says, along that fence line on the west side.  Im guessing that guy doesn't care too much, the guy on the east side, however.  now,  when i am down there i see tons of trash from other fisherman so Im sure this guy has had it with people destroying his land, I was more taken back by his willingness to beat the bejesus out of me instead of the more common approach of "hey, your on private property, please kindly leave..."

#11 Oct-29-12 7:21AM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

also T. there is no connection from beaverdam to goose creek.

#12 Oct-29-12 9:08AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Offer to clean up the trash.. I have seen many home owners welcome a select few who take the time to get a small group of people to clean up.
It seems like a lot of work but worth it in the long run. Perhaps, just perhaps he will allow you to fish there. Sometimes not..if too pissed off.

Just an idea.

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#13 Oct-29-12 1:16PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

bart2puck wrote:

also T. there is no connection from beaverdam to goose creek.

I would cart it from Reservoir Rd along the trail and down the hill to the creek.  About 9/10 mile.  Quicker than floating to the same point.

#14 Oct-30-12 7:51AM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

Yea, capt, i was thinking about approaching him and see if we can come to an understanding.  hes a scary dude though smile 

T,  You just follow the power lines to the creek?

#15 Oct-30-12 8:57AM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

bart2puck wrote:

Yea, capt, i was thinking about approaching him and see if we can come to an understanding.  hes a scary dude though smile 

Yeah, take a look on Google Earth.

#16 Oct-30-12 9:34AM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

T. wrote:

bart2puck wrote:

Yeah, take a look on Google Earth.

sweet. ill have to check it out.

Board footer