Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-24-12 2:12AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

Shenandoah Yesterday

Fished with my friend Roney yesterday on the Shenandoah River. We rented a 4 person raft from Front Royal Canoe Company and did their float trip #1 from Karo Landing to their pull out spot. Although the weather was beautiful, we saw only two other people all day on the water. River conditions were difficult because the water was quite low and EXTREMELY clear. We hung up at several places along the float and had to get out and push through the shallow spots. I've never seen the Shenandoah this clear as we could see fish from 25 yards away so I know they saw us from about 100 yards away. We did catch a few smallmouth and sunfish on plastics and a Mepps spinner, but nothing of any size. Overall, it was a great day on the water even though the fishing results were less than expected. FYI...the Front Royal Canoe Company will close for the season at the end of October and will re-open on April 1.

Bruce

#2 Oct-24-12 4:58AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Shenandoah Yesterday

Bruce, your results surprised me

The Doah's been on fire for me.

Did you try slowing down your presentation?  Long casts?

#3 Oct-25-12 2:18AM

Bruce
Northern Snakehead

I think I tried all speeds, but who knows if I went as slow as necessary. I threw casts as long as possible, so I know that wasn't the issue. I've just never fished where the water was that low and that clear at the same time. We didn't see any other fishermen out that day, so we couldn't compare results. We threw plastics (craws, tubes, pulse worms, and senkos) as well as roostertails, spinnerbaits, and mepp's spinners. Now I feel really bad knowing it should have been "on fire". Oh well, if it was always easy it wouldn't be fun.

#4 Oct-25-12 7:16AM

hookup
Patagonian Toothfish

When I say on fire I mean size not numbers.  Buddy called me from that area with a Musky attack and a 21.5" smallie report.  I think he went out a few days before you.

Some days are different than others.  I've fished with people in November who fished a solid summer patter, while I was fishing a late fall pattern. They got nothing, I had a good day.

Penrod does a nice job describing the seasons and what to throw in his UP & Ouchigon books.

Board footer