Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-18-12 4:57AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

Corpus Christi Texas fishing for Kings and Red Drum

It's been a while since I had a chance to fish with all my work travel, but I did get a chance to fish on my last day in Corpus Christi (about three weeks ago).  My co workers and I went to a little place called Aransas where the big ships come in.  So we met up with one of my co workers brother who lives down there and we take a 25 minute walk out to the jetty at 6:30. 

It's a long walk with some flat areas and huge concrete blocks that you have to traverse.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/backtofuturetoyota/Jetty2.jpg

I was provided a basic set up (7ft ugly stick with shimano reel) that seemed more like a bass rod with braid with steel leader and a huge spoon!
I wasn't sure what to expect, but was happy just to get a line wet and no kidding....within 15 minutes we hooked up with a few kingfish!  That went on for the next hour, but as soon as the sun came into full light...the kingfish quickly went away.

The next technique I was instructed to try was to let the spoon drop (with a ten count) and then start reeling and twitching.  Well, that was the trick....we spent the next 5 hours hauling in huge red drum.  With that fishing set up, it would take a good 20 minutes just to bring one in as the drum would strip away line. 

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/backtofuturetoyota/Paul2.jpg

After a quick lesson on how to land one without a net (use their eyes like bowling ball finger holes) it doesn't hurt them. I became pretty good at landing them for everyone.  We hooked up with 7-8 and lost them for one reason or another, and landed 5-6 raning between 28 inches to 42 inches.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/backtofuturetoyota/Paul3.jpg

What a great time we had.  Definitely the biggest strongest fish I ever caught (next to a striper).

#2 Oct-18-12 5:40AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Corpus Christi Texas fishing for Kings and Red Drum

Nice! Great report ad glad you got to get some....I would rather catch a big red that a striper.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Oct-18-12 5:56AM

AbuMasgouf
Northern Snakehead
Website

Cool Report! Poor fish looks totally cross-eyed with your fingers in it's eye! LOL but that's a pretty interesting technique!

Mustafa
ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
2016 Hobie Outback
"Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam Al'Sadiq (p)

#4 Oct-18-12 6:16AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Great report, Glad you had fun!
When I was a kid, many years ago it was standard practice to land northern pike by their eyes.
Now reaseach shows that it does hurt them. They are way more likly to get infections.

smile

#5 Oct-18-12 7:28AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

No kidding!  That's good information to know for the future.  I put my hands in it's gill the first time....yeah...that was the last time since I could barely get my fingers out without tearing them up (my fingers).  I will say that I ended up keeping a couple fish between my friends and I just to try for table fare and none of us really enjoyed it.  We might have to start up a recipe thread if we don't already have one!

#6 Oct-18-12 7:34AM

Ernie
Administrator

Just like stripers, big reds don't taste as good. I prefer them in the low to mid 20's (inches).

How did you cook them? For me, sauteed is best!

#7 Oct-18-12 7:43AM

captmikestarrett
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I use a towel on the lower jaw to keep the rhaspy teeth from tearing the skin off my hand. Then cradle the fish with the other arm.

Those jetties look good to walk on but hard to land a fish. I bet when you go down in the rocks to get them you watch for ships and the wakes.

I fished Corpus Christi many years ago and the jetties had no walkways on them. Rescued a guy who fell and broke his leg too when a ship went by.

Very cool report..

Capt Mike

Light Tackle Fishing Guide on the Potomac

#8 Oct-18-12 8:00AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Recipe........"Redfish on the half-shell":

1.  Do not scale the fish.  Cut fillets from the gill plate to the tail.  Keep scales and skin intact on fillet.  Trim out rib cage bones.

2. Marinade for at least 1 hour in Viva Italian salad dressing in the fridge.

3. Place on hot grill with the scale side down (meaty part up) and grill until flakey....do not turn over.

We did this when I was down in Houston last year.  Very good eating.  The fish we kept were 22-29".

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#9 Oct-18-12 8:07AM

Ernie
Administrator

While I am not a fan of "saucing up" fish, that recipe looks good!

#10 Oct-18-12 8:16AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

While I am not a fan of "saucing up" fish, that recipe looks good!

It's not tartar sauce! lol lol lol

The Italian dressing leaves just enough oil and spices on the fish to give it a nice flavor......and not dry out on the grill smile .

It's actually very good on rockfish too. big_smile

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#11 Oct-18-12 8:26AM

Ernie
Administrator

I left out the tartar sauce comment on purpose, did not want to go there......I like rubs and EVOO on fish, much like that recipe.

#12 Oct-18-12 10:02AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

That looks like some awesome fishing! Great report! How big were the kingfish?

I have relatives in Houston, might have to make a trip down that way sometime.

Last edited by Bryan (Oct-18-12 10:03AM)

tight lines

#13 Oct-18-12 11:20AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Wow!  That looks like great fishing!  I still haven't caught a Red (even the Puppies around here).  That is a goal of mine.  That must have been so much fun!

I like that recipe Curly.  Will have to try next time I get a couple Striper.  Sounds TASTY!

#14 Oct-19-12 8:24AM

purpleworm
Northern Snakehead

Looks like a cool experience. Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing.

#15 Oct-21-12 5:14PM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

That's a good recipe.  (tarter sauce and all)  I'll try it on the next one.  Let me tell you guys....not only are the bigger fish not so great eating....carrying the big ones back the 500 yards was also a serious work out! hahah. 
The kingfish we caught were all in the 30+ range.  They are very popular for eating in that area (They get cut into steaks).  All I can tell you guys is that...we had lunch with fresh crabs and shrimp right off the boats and it was awesome.

#16 Oct-21-12 5:35PM

Ernie
Administrator

Fresh seafood is so good! I've had kingfish cooked a couple of different ways. One chef blackened our catch one time and it was incredible, just sprayed some lime on it....

#17 Nov-02-12 8:26PM

Bob B
Northern Snakehead

Nice report and pictures.

Go Fish!

Board footer