Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-28-12 2:30PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

1/28 Grouse Hunting

Since it was nice today I decided to take my shotgun for a walk in the woods and see if we could scare up a few grouse in the process. I headed out to the GWNF west of 81 and got there around first light. It was a little chilly until the sun started to get over the mountain to the east and warm things ups. That and walking up the mountain will put some sweat on you. I did manage to flush 3 birds today but never got a shot off. By the time I got the gun up and swung on them they were gone. They are a tough bird to hunt and love to hang out in old cutovers.  I walked up on a guy and his son (maybe 12) out squirrel hunting.  They scared me half to death. They were dressed from head to toe in camo (including face masks) with not a speck of orange on them. I was maybe 20 yards away before I noticed the two tree warts. Normally when I am on public lands, I whistle at other hunters when I first see them so I a) do not get shot by accident or b) they don't mess up where I am hunting.  Once I spotted them I just waved, broke by shotgun and turned away. The thing that really got me is if a bird had flushed between us before that moment, I would have never seen them. So throw a little orange on while out there on public lands and give the other hunters a whistle when you see them.

#2 Jan-30-12 6:06AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 1/28 Grouse Hunting

Glad you got out.
I used to have a couple of brittanys and loved to Grouse hunt in Michigan. Glad to hear they have some around here. They do live in thick stuff.  Swing on them and pull the trigger, don't wait for a clear veiw. You don't always see them go down, so follow your shot up.

Thoose squirel hunters are asking for trouble. That is one off the reasons I don't enjoy public land hunting. To many  irresponsible people.

smile

#3 Jan-31-12 4:13AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

That's the whole reason I stay clear of public lands....too many people going by their own rules and not enough real targets.  I've never gone grouse hunting although I spook a few up here and there....I normally see more quail than anything else.  But as usual...I have the wrong gun in my hands...something about shooting a quail with a 30-06 doesn't seem right. lol

#4 Feb-02-12 1:15PM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Until I win the lottery and can buy 500-1000 acres out in the mountains I'm stuck with grouse  hunting on public lands... Come on powerball!!!

#5 Feb-03-12 5:15AM

backtofuturetoyota
Patagonian Toothfish

I hear you!  We need to have our own group property.  If you know how to call in turkey....I have a spot we can go!

Board footer