Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-29-12 11:38AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

1-29 Occoquan

Got out at 9am with my buddy Jeremy. Water was about 41 degrees and stained. marked a lot of bunched up fish and was able to pick off a few. Jeremy and I ended up with a few bass, a crappie, and a yellow perch. We didn't expect to catch much so we were pretty happy with ourselves. I lost one that felt REALLY good.... sad Saw a few guys fishing from shore and a few boats but nobody seemed to be catching anything but us. Fished jig heads with grubs and roadrunners. I was off the water after about 2 hrs. Nothing big cept the smile on my face. good to get out again.

#2 Jan-29-12 11:40AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 1-29 Occoquan

Great to read a report from you....way to go!!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jan-29-12 7:23PM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

The weather looked great today.  I wish I could go today.
Thanks for the report.

Joe

#4 Jan-30-12 1:14PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Might try and go again tomorrow since the weather is supposed to be amazing!

#5 Feb-01-12 5:28AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Got out again yesterday. 9am, water was still stained and 41 degrees. Fished the usual spots, marked lots of fish bunched up in the channel but i'm not very good at jigging in deep water.. especially for suspended fish. They all were about 10-12 feet down. ended up foul hooking a small crappie. made for good laughs.

The bass were biting. Jeremy and I caught quite a few. My biggest was about 1.5lbs but because i haven't fished for a loooong time, it felt like a giant. haha. LOTS of company yesterday. many anglers out on a tuesday. talked to a few of them and they had about the same luck we were having. a good number of bass but the crappie bite was pretty weak. We say a fellow hobie kayaker pull up a nice crappie from the hoffmaster dock but that was the biggest we saw all day from anyone. He was having the most success against the crappie and was using tiny tubes (less than 2"). I ended up catching 1 bluegill,  3 crappie, and 7 bass. I think jeremy caught 6 bass and a bluegill. Awesome day to have gone fishing.

We talked to a guy at the launch and he told us that the crappie bite last weekend was amazing and this one guy pulled over a dozen crappie with the smallest being 14". Still no sign of the perch. At the end of the day, the water temp reading was at 43.3

Last edited by AndrewDo124 (Feb-01-12 5:28AM)

#6 Feb-01-12 5:58AM

Ernie
Administrator

Nice Andrew!!

I have a report that the big YP are still schooled up in warm holes in the main river (but surprisingly close to shore/structure)...it won't be long.

Time to go fishin' again!

#7 Feb-01-12 6:00AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

They have to be close! I went to the asian market and saw some huge ones loaded with eggs in the fish department sad Can't wait to catch them.

Occoquan is so close to my house, i dont know why i don't fish there more often.

#8 Feb-01-12 7:16PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice report!

#9 Feb-02-12 5:06AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks for the report. This weather has been amazing.

Wegman's in Fredericksburg had a whole pile of yellow perch in the seafood department. They were pretty much all in the 8-9" range, probly all males.

tight lines

Board footer