Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Dec-29-11 5:33PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

12-29 First Deer

Last Thursday I went hunting for the first time and did not even see a deer.  Went again Xmas Eve with nada once again.  One of the guys I was with saw one.  On Tuesday I sat through the rain to not see any deer.  FINALLY today I got my first deer ever!  I was up in the tree stand, and I saw 2 deers run across the field that is not the property we can hunt on (we were hunting the edge), so I kept my scope on them hoping they would run into the woods where we are like the supposedly would do usually. They did not.  I was frustrated.  Then I heard Steve fire off three shots.  I thought that would have scared everything away.  Then I saw a deer walking up on the ridge in front of me.  Steve's stand was near the line of fire so all I could do was watch.  Then it kept moving, but disappeared for a minute.  Then it popped back out.  I fired once at it an shot high do being anxious of first time firing at something. Quickly pumped the gun took a breath and nailed the doe in the neck dropping it where it was!  Later I find out that Steve fired 3 times killing 2 button bucks.  It was  great day and I cannot wait to go back out Saturday morning!! 

One deer makes all the 3 45am mornings worth it...

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm266/redskinsfan360/002-6.jpg

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm266/redskinsfan360/001-4.jpg

Oh and I learned how to field dress it.  That was an experience...    And realized it is a pretty good workout dragging the deer uphill for a while...

Learning how to clean the deer for the meat this weekend.

#2 Dec-29-11 6:04PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 12-29 First Deer

What were you shooting with?

One of these days I hope to get out.  Apparently my step-bro knows some guy in western Loudoun with a bunch of land so hopefully that will work out for me.

#3 Dec-29-11 6:08PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

I was shooting with a remington .270.  Pump action.  Has a clip that holds 5, plus I can have one in the chamber.

And I have been talking about doing it for a while, and I am very glad I finally did!

Last edited by redskinsfan360 (Dec-29-11 6:09PM)

#4 Dec-29-11 6:27PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

I want to go hunting with my pistol, I bet that would be fun

#5 Dec-30-11 6:49AM

Bass Hunter
Northern Snakehead

Nice work Charlie!! Makes me want to bring my Thompson Center out of storage!!

#6 Dec-30-11 1:30PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

You know what's messed up?  Hunting deer with my Glock 19 = no problem.   Hunting deer with my AR-15 (5.56mm) = illegal. 
.223/5.56mm is perfectly legal everywhere but Virginia it seems.  For now I would use my Remington 870 tactical with slugs.

#7 Dec-30-11 2:32PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

.223/5.56mm is plenty effective at liquifying deer internals if you use a proper hunting round.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_23/6268 … ounds.html
More than a few cases of deer dropping where they stood.  On hunting shows I've seen plenty of deer run away after getting shot by larger calibers.  Shot placement is always going to be more important than caliber.

I'd imagine that most people getting shot by .223 are getting shot with FMJ NATO-standard rounds and not hunting rounds.

Here's part of one guy's experience from that ARFcom thread.

.416 Rigby with a 400gn Hornady softpoint @ 2500 FPS at the muzzle. Range 150 yards. The bullet entered the left chest just in front of shoulder (deer quartering towards me) obliterated the top half of the heart and liquified the front half of the lungs, then came to rest on the ball joint of the right hip. The 10 point buck stayed on his hooves and ran 40 yards. No blood trail, not a single drop.

.223 Rem with a 60 gn Nosler Partition @ 2900 fps. Range 165 yards. Classic broadside shot just behind the shoulder on a mature doe. Bullet penetrated completely through the ribcage leaving a golf ball sized exit. The heart was missing 2/3 of it's top half with 6" diameter area of both lungs liquified. The doe ran about 50 yards. OK blood trail.

.223 Rem with 62 gn Barnes TSX @ 2900 fps. Range 145 yards. Classic broadside shot high in the shoulder on a mature doe. Bullet penetrated completely breaking both shoulders leaving a quarter sized exit wound. 6" diameter area of both lungs liquified. Doe DRT. Not a single step. (I had the exact same shot and performance using a 120 gn Barnes TSX out of my 6.5x57 @ 2900 fps on a small 8 point. My son had the same performance with a 180 gn TSX out of the .308 @ 100 yards. There is something "magic" about the high shoulder shot, 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the chest/shoulder that just seems to work like a light switch. I think it traumatizes the spine and knocks the deer out, then they bleed out before coming to.)

7mm Rem Mag with 140 gn Nosler Ballistic Tip @ 3000 fps. Range 100 yards. Classic broadside shot on a mature buck. Buck dropped at the shot, then while my buddy and his young son were giving each other high fives, the deer walked off into a thorn thicket so dense we had to crawl into it on our hands an knees. We followed a blood trail that at times was so heavy it looked like someone was pouring it out by the Coke can. The trail went on for about 400 yards through the thicket, then into an open field where it tapered off to a few drops then stopped. The deer was never recovered. It's as if it "rubbed some dirt on it and walked it off". (The year before, my son shot a nice doe with a .223 62 gn TSX from the exact same blind and had the exact same results, except the blood trail only went about 100 yards. The folks who own that property say they have lost DOZENS of deer the same way from that blind with 7x57, .270, .308... As hard as we all try to recover every animal shot, there will always be a few that haunt us.)

Last edited by T. (Dec-30-11 2:34PM)

#8 Dec-31-11 7:23AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Congratulations Charlie!
Your first deer is quite a acomplishment, it means even more when you have to work for it like you did. Now you can look forward to those great memories with every meal you have.

smile

#9 Dec-31-11 10:51AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks!  I went again this morning. Dave killed a button buck, Steve and I did not see any.  Ready to go again Monday!

Board footer