Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-17-11 5:01PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

NHBA Occoquan Classic

It was a chilly morning and like at Lake Anna the guys were kind of surprised to see me on my motorcycle.  That's just how I roll.  I fished with Jeff Palmer this time.  We headed down the river to some grass beds that hadn't died off yet.  I started by throwing crankbaits along the edge of the grass and a drop off.  That didn't work. I tried a silver buddy in the deeper water to see what I could find.  I think I found a cat fish.  Twice!  I hooked up with something that put on a good fight put then got off.  I lost a good flounder at OC on the same silver buddy too.  Later that night I replace the original hooks with some split rings and good hooks.   Hopefully this is remedied.

We were seeing a lot of something under the boat.  My hands were cold so while I warmed my left hand I jigged the silver buddy with the right just for the heck of it.  Well almost immediately I hooked up with a 10" white perch. lol  So much for warming my hands.  I kept that one and caught a few more smaller ones on a small kastmaster spoon.  In the meantime Jeff caught a 3-4lb blue cat on a dropshot, probably the same cat that was molesting my silver buddy.  Eventually as the day warmed up so did the bass action.  Both Jeff and I had four keepers and one too small.  I caught two of mine off the same stick poking up through the surface, but with about half an hour in between them.   All of mine and maybe all of Jeff's too were on green senkos.

When we were near the railroad bridge and deep water I tried a swimbait slow across the bottom. I think it was my second cast when I hooked up.  Best fight of the day.  I had quite a bit of line out when I hooked up and it took a few minutes to land it.  It was a 9lb blue cat.  Not my biggest cat, but certainly my biggest on 12lb line rather than my usual catfish gear with 30lb line or more.

This was best tournament so far.  4 keepers @ 6.7lbs.  Good for 8th/21 for the day.   Most of the guys did pretty well.
I decided not to fish on Sunday and I think that worked out well since there were no open seats.  Most did even better on Sunday.

#2 Nov-17-11 6:16PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: NHBA Occoquan Classic

Nice work!

No surprise on the bike, I have seen you carry  a yak paddle on that thing....

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer