Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-12-11 4:36AM

onthewater

Tog fishing 11/11 BRRRRRRRRR

I got a free pass from the wife to fish, so despite the less than perfect condition (freezing cold and gust over 30mph) a buddy and I drove to Ocean City last night and worked the jetty from 6 - 11.  It was just as snotty as I thought it was going to be.  Buddy caught 4 keepers on green crabs and I got the big zip.  Didn't even get a solid take, just a couple of taps. 

I can't explain what happened, same bait, same rig, same locations but I got no takers.  I was using braid, and a pretty fast rod so I don't think I missed any. Perhaps my hook was a little too big.

I had to pick up half a bushel of oyster to help ease my pain.

#2 Nov-12-11 4:44AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Tog fishing 11/11 BRRRRRRRRR

Good report but I will leave that cold weather fishing for you guys.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Nov-12-11 6:13AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

these are men after my own heart

#4 Nov-12-11 7:00AM

onthewater

Thanks for the kind words but lack of fishing will make a man do strange things.  Between the kids and wife, free time to fish is at a premium.  I just haven't gotten much this year that would stretch some line. 

We left NOVA at 9 on Thursday, got to the beach at midnight and fished for a couple of hours.  Nothing going on so we drove to the baitshop, crashed in the car waiting for them to open so we could buy green crabs.

It was definitely a fishing trip born from desperation.

Tight Lines

Bruce

#5 Nov-12-11 8:56AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

those are the best one's

at least your buddy cauht a few

anymore, that's almost as good as catchin them myself

keep fishin-those once in a lifetime days can happen every year

seems like the big one's hit on the rough days

#6 Nov-14-11 8:02AM

Bryan
Patagonian Toothfish

Thanks for the report! What was the water clarity like?

I haven't caught a tog in a while...hope I get a chance to fish for them this Fall.

tight lines

#7 Nov-14-11 2:48PM

onthewater

Bryan,

The water clarity was poor, the wind had churned up the the bay pretty good.

If you go, make sure you bring along some smaller hooks, I think my hardware was too big for the smaller togs present on the jetty that day.  I guess I was a little too optimistic.

Tight Lines,

Bruce

This warmer weather is given me the itch to go again.

#8 Nov-14-11 10:02PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

Bruce,

Tog are one of my favorite fish to catch. In fact I'm driving up to Long Island NY later this week to fish with a few friends. I don't know your level of experience so I'll start with some basics and maybe you can find a missing link between your buddies 4 fish and your no hits.

Starting with the rig, unless you were using a pre-tied rig (not recommended), subtle differences can be huge. First, a sinker heavy enough to hold you in good position. Always error up an ounce or two to be sure you're sinker stays on the bottom and doesn't roll around. As far as hooks are concerned, yes, on occasion they can get hook shy and you could go too big. However, if the water was dirty, I doubt that was the problem. I generally size my hooks depending on the bait. 90% of the time or more I use an Owner SSW all purpose bait hook or Gamakatsu equivalent in 4/0. The rest of the time it's either 3/0 or 5/0. You can hide a 4/0 hook pretty well in a piece of green crab. It is critical that the hook be below the sinker by a few inches when hanging. You want the bait to be on the bottom.

I could do pages on bait but I'll just add a few words specifically about green crabs. Sometimes tog will eat every green crab you throw in the water. Other times it gets trickier. At times you will actually get more hits with one of the following methods over others- Whole small green crabs, sometimes claws and legs on, sometimes trimmed, whole small ones with a cracked top shell, whole small ones with top shell removed, halved medium to large, again claws and legs on, claws and legs trimmed, halved with top shell, halved top shell removed, green and white ones, ones with orange, claws removed legs on... you get the idea. As crazy as it sounds, sometimes they show preferences and finding the right combination will get you more hits. My most common method is claws and legs trimmed (throw them in the water to get the smell going) and shells off. Trimmed and shells on a close second.

Finally, and probably the most important part about togging, is where you put your bait. Tog rarely stray far from rocks or structure. You have to feel sticky bottom if you hope to get hits. I often tell people that if you're not getting hung up on the bottom from time to time, you're probably not in the right place. When fishing from jetties, the rocks do go out a ways but the bulk of the fish will be pretty close to your feet. So start by casting out a short distance and drag the bait slowly until you feel some rocks. I you don't get hits after about a minute or so, lift the bait over those rocks and drag and feel for another and repeat until you get it close in to the rocks you're standing on. Also, move around a lot. This goes for jetties and boats. We've had days where one of us will pull 4 or 5 fish from a spot and the guy standing 3 feet away doesn't get a hit. You need to try different "pieces" to find out where they're sitting.

Last edited by Paul Naj (Nov-14-11 10:03PM)

#9 Nov-15-11 6:17AM

Ernie
Administrator

The tog man has spoken.............

Time to go fishin' again!

#10 Nov-17-11 7:33PM

Paul Naj
Northern Snakehead

The tog man is sitting home tonight because of bad weather today and a work emergency tomorrow. Not happy.

We are rescheduled 2 weeks from now.

#11 Nov-18-11 6:41PM

onthewater

Paul,

It sucks when life gets in the way of fishing. 

I appreciate your recommendations, particularly the chumming with cut off legs and baiting with legs.  It leaves me lots of room for improvement next time out.

Bruce

Board footer