Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-22-11 5:24AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Riverbend 8/21

Decided to stay close to home yesterday and hit Riverbend Park via kayak. I've only been there once this summer so it was about time. Landed 8 total SM bass and 2 bluegills. The best one went 13". Most were 11-12". Great fun on light tackle. Missed about 4 others when they jumped.

Half on a tube jig and half on a gold spinner. The water is murky. About a foot and a half visibility. Of course, the best one of the morning got off after a  couple of real good runs. This one didn't jump and stayed down. Got a few good looks at him, too. Maybe a couple pounds.

And what's the old kayak fishing adage... leash it or lose it?! Took a bunch of pics and on the last fish he went nuts and... kerplunk, there goes my camera! Less than 3' of water and I spent 20-30 minutes trying to find it. Lots of crevices and holes. Kinda like hillbilly catfishing reaching under rocks. Weird but, to no avail. But I know where it is (sorta) so if the river level drops any more or the water clears some I'll have a shot at finding it. Wonder what the duration of "waterproof" means...  :-(

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#2 Aug-22-11 5:50AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Riverbend 8/21

John- sounds like a great day! One full of adventure and memory!

The river has stayed murky for a bit...I wonder if there is some sediment (construction) coming in heavier that it should.

Those bass that get off like that do it to frustrate you so you won't come back to  harass them.

When out on the yak, I now have a little float tied on to my camera. It actually helps me find the camera from all the stuff in my vest pockets. It prevents me from "noodling"......

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-22-11 8:38AM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

I just got a new camera for the kayak and put a float on it right away. 

See link:  http://www.amazon.com/Chums-30046-Water … =pd_cp_p_2 

I end up tucking the camera in my PFD all nice and protected and having the spongy float out to grab when needed.  Works great. 

I was planning to go out with Redfish on kayaks on the Chesapeake yesterday but bailed because of work and because of the threat of storms.  He later said he never got out because of the weather.  Glad I didn't drive all that way to watch a thunder and lightening storm.

Glad you got out for a little while.

#4 Aug-22-11 10:21AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

Lesson learned for sure. Yes, a memorable morning that I can't revisit via pictures! One consolation is that I got it on sale under $90. Thanks for the tips and the link on a float. Gonna add one. (as the horse is running out of the barn and down the road!)

I haven't been to the bridge at all this year. Guys have been doing well but I just don't feel like making that drive for summertime stripers. I'll chase them in October. In the meantime, SM & LM bass and Potomac Pike!

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

Board footer