Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-15-11 3:18PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Fletcher's Today

We heard about Fletcher's from you guys and decided to try it out today.  Tyler had been asking you guys a bunch of questions to try to figure this place out ahead of time.  THANK YOU for your help.  We appreciated it.  We almost didn't go because of the weather predictions but it turned out to be pretty good this morning.  We got out on the yaks about 8:30 and headed upstream a bit.  Tide was just starting to go out (high tide at 7am).  Fished with some herring bought at Fletcher's and some of the other lures you guys suggested.  First cast with the herring and I got slammed hard.  Fought it for about 5 minutes, made some headway, but ended up breaking my line.  Based on the what I caught the rest of the day, this had to be a 20+ lber.  I don't know if it was a catfish or a striper.  It definitely had more of a headshake than the catfish I caught the rest of the day, but I never saw it so can't be sure.  A couple casts later, I got another heavy hit.  This one I am pretty sure was a catfish.  I fought him for a few minutes but he eventually went back in his hole or wrapped me around something.  I couldn't budge him for about 10 minutes after that.  Finally I had to cut the line (go ahead and give me grief on that, but he turned it into a waiting game and I had other things to do other than wait for him to come out and play).  After that I caught about 7 or 8 Catfish ranging from about 5lbs up to a 10lber (I weighed that one).

Tyler caught about 5 or 6 Catfish in the same size range except one that was 15 lbs (picture below).  He always gets the biggest fish.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff373/GregF000/Fishing/PICT0077a.jpg

Later in the day I changed a few things and caught a 5 lb Striper.  I tried to take a picture, but while I was getting my camera out of my drybag, he wiggled out of my hand and escaped.  My first Striper!  I am hooked.

Also, Tyler caught a Smallmouth on the rocks.

It was a great day on the water.  Can't wait to go back to Fletcher's.  Thanks for telling us about it and making some suggestions on how to fish there.

#2 May-15-11 4:08PM

GregF
Northern Snakehead

Re: Fletcher's Today

Someone who really cares sent me an email concerned that Tyler didn't look like he was wearing a PFD, especially at a potentially dangerous place like that area of the Potomac.  Thank you for the email.  Both Tyler and I always wear PFDs and always kayak together (or with another partner).  We wear the belt style PFD that has a CO2 canister to inflate it.  You just can't see it in the pictures.

#3 May-15-11 4:15PM

Ernie
Administrator

Now you guys are "hooked". That is a magical place but this has been a tough spring.....

I see that belt! But remember, that place looks more "peaceful" than it really is. It's a raging river under the surface.

Another thing you can do is throw "shad darts" with a light rod. the Hickory and American shad action can be great and loads of fun.

Nice blue cat too!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 May-15-11 4:18PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

I tried the shad darts for a little out at that same spot because I saw lots of small fish on my fish finder but after about ten minutes i wasnt having any luck and had another catfish on the line. didnt really get another chance to throw it out there. and thanks!!

#5 May-15-11 4:38PM

Ernie
Administrator

Those darts need to get deep....throw them ( tie two on for some extra weight, about 15 inches apart) across the current and let them drift down...when the line starts to straighten....fish on!

Time to go fishin' again!

#6 May-15-11 7:03PM

TyF
Northern Snakehead

Well i am sure we will go again in the near future so i will try that. we were talking to the guy at fletchers and he suggested that. the reason i didnt do it was i didnt know how to tie the 2 on the same line.

Board footer