Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#26 Apr-25-11 6:47PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 2011 Electroshocking Ashburn Village ponds by the state of Virginia.

I think I'll come get some of those punk/dinks tomorrow.  I'm good at catching those.

#27 Apr-26-11 4:54AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

I'm pretty good at slaying dinks...I need to make my way over there.

#28 Apr-26-11 5:04AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Post what you take out (all under 12") on the Cedar thread and I'll keep a running total by editing in the first post.

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#29 Apr-26-11 5:32AM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

well said curly.

#30 Apr-26-11 5:42AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Curly wrote:

due to poachers removing the big bass from the ABC lakes.  My opinion is that C&R will further hurt the lakes and turn them all into dink ponds eventually...........because the poachers that are removing the big bass are very sly and have yet to be caught....and will continue to poach the big fish under cover of darkness or very early mornings.

The poachers were out on Alder and Birch last night.  The wife and I were walking the dog and spotted a couple of guys on Alder cleaning their fish on top of the sewer drain that runs in at about the mid point on the north side of the lake. Their surf casting rods were the dead giveaway.

The woman on birch was using worms and fishing a spinning rod upside down. But I don't think she caught anything (she was reeling in the worms like they were a spinnerbait).

Is there someone to call when the poachers are out? VDGIF?

#31 Apr-26-11 5:53AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

If the fish are under 14", they are not poaching, unless thay are non-residents.  The rule of allowing keeping fish under 14" remains in effect until voted on by the BOD and changing of the signs.  It will not happen quickly.  It is impossible to remove enough bluegill (BG) to effect the BG population.  Big bass will rarely take a small live worm fished on the bottom......they want bigger forage.

VDGIF does not enforce on our lakes and will not.  A call to the sheriffs office non-emergency # may.....or may not get a response.  They will not enforce the fishing regs but can ask a non-resident to leave.  Enforcement of lake rules/regs has always been a problem with no easy solutions in the 19 years I've lived here.

IF a resident is removing fish over 14", there is no recourse or any enforcement action that can be taken by the HOA............

Last edited by Curly (Apr-26-11 7:52AM)

#32 Apr-26-11 10:13AM

YAKDAWG

Curly any chance he will be coming back to study alder?

#33 Apr-26-11 10:49AM

YAKDAWG

Sorry meant to say ashburn after seeing the map I know the names now

#34 Apr-26-11 10:51AM

YAKDAWG

We need more signs around all the ponds stating what u can and cannot take, like most lakes have.

#35 Apr-26-11 11:09AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

YAKDAWG wrote:

Sorry meant to say ashburn after seeing the map I know the names now

Ashburn Lake is as big as Pavilion.  I basically had to beg to get 5 lakes in on Thursday (he promised he would do at least 3).  If we ever do Ashburn, 2 other lakes will not be studied because of the time it takes to do a 20+ acre lake.  I'd keep Ashburn Lake your secret yak lake because it get little pressure compared to the other lakes (not much easy shoreline to fish).  We know there are some nice fish in Ashburn Lake........when he comes back in 4 years, we will see if we can squeeze in a 6th lake big_smile .

#36 Apr-26-11 3:43PM

Ernie
Administrator

Curly wrote:

My opinion is that C&R will further hurt the lakes and turn them all into dink ponds eventually.....

??

Time to go fishin' again!

#37 Apr-26-11 6:28PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

Curly wrote:

My opinion is that C&R will further hurt the lakes and turn them all into dink ponds eventually.....

??

This is to everyone.........
Many small bass must be removed from each spawn or they multiply exponentially with each successive spawn.   Many of those 7-9" Cedar bass now (they have big heads and are soooo skinny) are 2-3 years old and should be 12-15".   They are starving.  I caught 117 skinny bass from 6-9" in a couple hours at Cedar a week or so back.  That alone tells us that Odenkirk is correct.

If we resort to C&R only.......and allow the ponds to overpopulate with bass, they will look like Pavilion did 4 years ago......all the 6-8" bass you could catch in a day and nothing bigger.

I challenge anyone on this board to tell me how many 3+ lb bass they've seen in buckets over the past 3 years.   I've seen none over 3 lbs and have looked in many, many a bucket.  I'm sure someone has seen a big bass or two pulled out in buckets, but the # has to be low.  The bucket brigade actually does us a favor in removing the small bass for us.  The big bass poachers are not there with buckets and probably read this forum as a "guest"......we will never know who they are and have to manage the lakes knowing that they are part of the equation.

Folks have to realize that a successful bass spawn can be very detrimental to a pond's predator/prey balance.

Don't let seeing someone with a bucket full of small bass bother you........I'll be pulling them out by the 5-gallon bucket full soon.........

#38 Apr-27-11 5:23AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Question! If i catch a bucket...anyone want it? Not sure I want to drive home with a bucket full of dinks...

Maybe I should start a new fish tank and use these to stock another pond...(bad idea?)

#39 Apr-27-11 2:50PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

AndrewDo124 wrote:

Question! If i catch a bucket...anyone want it? Not sure I want to drive home with a bucket full of dinks...

Maybe I should start a new fish tank and use these to stock another pond...(bad idea?)

It's called a cooler you cheap ass. They're like $20...   smile

#40 Apr-27-11 5:53PM

YAKDAWG

I'd love to see a study at ashburn while there are some big ones in there I'm convinced the overall numbers in there are very low. I rarely have a day where I get more than 10 in 6 to 8 hours in the yak. Plus I rarely mark fish on my fish finder and I yak all over that lake just looking for structure and depth changes.

#41 Apr-27-11 5:55PM

YAKDAWG

Curly any talk of providing a food source in these ponds where the bass are starving? Crawfish or baitfish release?

#42 Apr-27-11 6:09PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

YAKDAWG wrote:

Curly any talk of providing a food source in these ponds where the bass are starving? Crawfish or baitfish release?

I am working on the plan.  Crawfish are a no-go according to VDGIF.  We will use bluegill and red ear sunfish as forage, after I go over the data with Odenkirk.  We will also have to remove many small bass from Cedar and Pavilion, or the baitfish stocking will be wiped out as soon as we put it in.

Stay tuned...............

#43 Apr-27-11 6:16PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

YAKDAWG wrote:

I'd love to see a study at ashburn while there are some big ones in there I'm convinced the overall numbers in there are very low. I rarely have a day where I get more than 10 in 6 to 8 hours in the yak. Plus I rarely mark fish on my fish finder and I yak all over that lake just looking for structure and depth changes.

Every 4-5 years, that lake almost completely flushes out from very heavy flooding rains.  The last "flush" was 4 years ago.  Most of the smaller fish go over the concrete weir when that happens and is the main reason we have never electroshocked it.  The bigger bass are able to withstand the "flush" and tend to remain.  We are due for another major flush.........with water going 2 feet over the top rail.

#44 May-05-11 6:05AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

I got the data from Odenkirk yesterday.  It will take me a while to go over it, but a plan is in the works to present to the L&P Committee.

#45 May-05-11 7:01AM

bart2puck
Northern Snakehead

Whats a guy like me to do to help? i swing by after work  and fish for an hour or so, catch a dozen dinks.  I live in a small townhouse in ashburn and have no place to keep a bucket of dead fish.  I would love to help out but logistically its tough..if i were to put them in the freezer my wife would do nothing short of kill me.

#46 May-05-11 7:30AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

bart2puck wrote:

Whats a guy like me to do to help? i swing by after work  and fish for an hour or so, catch a dozen dinks.  I live in a small townhouse in ashburn and have no place to keep a bucket of dead fish.  I would love to help out but logistically its tough..if i were to put them in the freezer my wife would do nothing short of kill me.

Check your email..........Curly

#47 May-05-11 7:41AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

I'm in the same boat ..... what's that email say Curly?

#48 May-05-11 7:45AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Houli wrote:

I'm in the same boat ..... what's that email say Curly?

Check your email.

#49 May-05-11 8:17AM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Bart and Ryan - make sure you post how many you remove from Cedar so that I can keep an accurate count.  Post it in the 250-300 must be removed from Cedar thread.

#50 May-05-11 8:54AM

Houli
Northern Snakehead

Will do.

Board footer