Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-11-11 11:32AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

1/8-1/9 Elizabeth River

Came down to school early on Friday so that I could fish Saturday and Sunday.  Joe and I fished out of my boat and my other friend fished out of his.  We fished the hot ditch for specks to find spots for the tourney this coming weekend.  We spent a while putting around with the finder to find drop offs.  Joe and I only caught a couple, but at the end of the day our friend said he caught a ton.  Our problem was size.  On Sunday Jason and I fished together and caught a few, but had trouble with tthe size of fish again.  We caught everything both days on mirrolures and gulp.  We have to teams of two from CNU in the tourney so hopefully we can do good.  Didnt have the camera, but will have it on tournament day.

#2 Jan-11-11 12:29PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 1/8-1/9 Elizabeth River

That's a place I want to fish some day......do you have any clacker poppers?

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Jan-11-11 12:40PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Pacemaker wrote:

That's a place I want to fish some day......do you have any clacker poppers?

I do not have any of these...

#4 Jan-11-11 1:19PM

Ernie
Administrator

One of the very effective ways to catch specs is to put a Gulp shrimp on a jig and hang just off the bottom from a clacking cork. You can clack it or pop it. Some are called "Equalizer". http://www.angleroutfitters.com/cart/in … th=7_57_12

#5 Jan-11-11 4:05PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Working suspending twitchbaits like mirrolures (s25mr) in black over orange are pretty deadly when worked very very slow. I have also had good success with specs and reds with a gulp shrimp under a popping cork, but that was in the warmer months when the fish were more aggressive. Who knows though, it's a great way of presenting a bait to them so you might try it slowed down.

Good luck in the tournament!!! I'm hoping to get out and fish the susky for YP this weekend if there is not too much ice... I'll probably be kicking myself for not making use of the long weekend better.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LtCJkp6ExRo/TJENEOeSZFI/AAAAAAAAC7Y/WlNjXv1EQ7o/s800/redfish%20081509%20-%203.jpg

Last edited by Redfish12 (Jan-11-11 4:07PM)

#6 Jan-11-11 7:02PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

those pop'n corks are deadly!!!! lots of trout and redfish!

#7 Jan-11-11 8:05PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

yeah that orange and black mirrolure is killer along with the electric chicken color.  I might have to look into this clacking thing.

#8 Jan-12-11 5:02AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

I am not an expert. But I did well with MirroLures at Hot Ditch in the past.
I change the presentation of the same lure based on clarity of water and boat traffic. I tend to reel in lures faster and give more actions to lure in the extra clear water, extra murky water, and heavily fished water.  Hot Ditch has been heavily fished, and the water is very murky.  When I fished with a MirroLure at Hot Ditch, I did rapid and small twitching while crank the handle once per second.  It is like this:

For one second, I twitch (rod tip moves only a foot) three times (left, right, left, right, left, right) while turning reel handle once. Then pause for 1-1.5 seconds. I repeat this move but vary the twitching and the time of pause randomly.  Many times, this technique outperformed live-bait and other lures for speck (but not red). It is labor-intensive. I switch arms often. For that I carry two rods, one with a left-handed reel and the other with a right-handed reel.  I use 10-15# test super-braided and a medium action and light rod.  I can't do this with mono lines.

joe

Last edited by ComeOnFish (Jan-12-11 5:07AM)

#9 Jan-12-11 5:17AM

Ernie
Administrator

Charlie- with all of this great advice your team should win the tourney! Good luck!

#10 Jan-13-11 5:07PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

be carefull with the popn corks. some days the fish are skiddish and run from theses things and others its the complete opposite. doa makes an ok cork along with bomber. its easier to buy the whole rigs instead of a seperate cork.

#11 Jan-13-11 5:25PM

Ernie
Administrator

popn' corks and clakin' corks are two different things......

#12 Jan-13-11 5:30PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

whats a clackin cork

#13 Jan-13-11 5:32PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

#14 Jan-13-11 7:34PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

If it makes a difference I prefer the long skinny one in your image link on the right... and not sure if it matters or if it's because I prefer this color, but orange is most productive for me. I've also used shrimp, cut mullet, mullet, bull minnows, etc under the same cork with great success. I think the ones I have are called equalizers? I'd have to dig through my trout/red drawer but I can. DOA shrimp were also popular, granted this was mostly done in Charleston SC, so lots of shrimp there.

#15 Jan-14-11 4:37AM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

i use the orange with either a 3 inch gulp shrimp in newpenny. or a gold glitter doa shrimp.

Board footer