Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-10-11 7:44AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

First Susquehanna Yellow Perch Fishing (Jan 08)

Finally I fished for YP (yellow perch) for the first time.  I thought if I didn’t  make it on the last Saturday, then I might have to wait  because the river would freeze soon.  As not being an experienced freshwater angler, I was not sure about lures and jigging techniques for YP.   But found the lure worked for the day.  Except low air temperature (29-30F noon, 26F after 5:00PM), the Susquehanna River near Perryville and Havre De Grace, MD was quite kayaking-friendly (meaning courteous anglers and calm water).

I caught 19 YP (6 undersized and 13 @9-12”) for about 4.5 hours.  I learned that braided line sticks to the ice formed on the rod, rod guides and spool.  Next time I may use thin mono line on a cold day. 

For Kayak/canoe Anglers - Jean Roberts Memorial Park comes with a concrete boat ramp. There is a strip of soft pad on one side of the ramp for kayak launch. Ramp usage is free for kayak launch.

Here is my video fishing log:
http://www.youtube.com/user/comeonfish0 … s_g-2zdiak

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by ComeOnFish (Jan-10-11 7:46AM)

#2 Jan-10-11 7:52AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Re: First Susquehanna Yellow Perch Fishing (Jan 08)

Great report Joe! I think I am going to be heading there next weekend with some guys from the maryland kayaking group, hopefully we will share some of your success.

We are putting together the M&G schedule for the year now and it is looking to be a fun series of events with a few tournaments identified as well. I will post the schedule on this site later today.

I have never fished for yp specifically but I have caught quite a few by accident. Can you describe the setup you were using little more? Looks like two droppers with small jigs and a heavy sinker to get it down? Thanks!

#3 Jan-10-11 8:00AM

Ernie
Administrator

I'll have to see this video when I get home.....we have YP close by in the Occoquan. Dan, Mo and I will be making a voyage as soon as I get Carl's boat back from the shop in.....can drag a couple of yaks behind us.

Small Hopkins type lures work but the best lure is a Silver Buddy.

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jan-10-11 9:48AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Pacemaker wrote:

I'll have to see this video when I get home.....we have YP close by in the Occoquan. Dan, Mo and I will be making a voyage as soon as I get Carl's boat back from the shop in.....can drag a couple of yaks behind us.

Small Hopkins type lures work but the best lure is a Silver Buddy.

I saw a guy catching YP with a tandem rig. He used a heavy small spoon (I think 1oz weight) on a bottom and a small soft lure on the top. I think some people use a jig head (1/16oz) and some people just use size 4 or 2 hook to hold soft bait.  I am not an expert on this. But YP are more aggressive than I thought they would be.  If water is not that deep, I think blades will work fine.

Joe

#5 Jan-10-11 9:59AM

ComeOnFish
Northern Snakehead

Redfish12 wrote:

Great report Joe! I think I am going to be heading there next weekend with some guys from the maryland kayaking group, hopefully we will share some of your success.

We are putting together the M&G schedule for the year now and it is looking to be a fun series of events with a few tournaments identified as well. I will post the schedule on this site later today.

I have never fished for yp specifically but I have caught quite a few by accident. Can you describe the setup you were using little more? Looks like two droppers with small jigs and a heavy sinker to get it down? Thanks!

The place is pretty deep up to 84'.  Sharp edges on both side.  It is about 20-45' deep where the floating docks are on Owens Marina side.  I used 15# test super braided.  I made a tandem dropper rig with 30#test mono. I used an 1 oz sinker on the bottom of the rig. I was not quite prepared. So I used 15# test mono as leader (4" long between the loop of dropper and the hook. The loop of dropper was about 2.5" long when stretched. I used a red 1/16 oz jig head and 3" chartreuse twister (stretched).  I lift up and slowly lowered the rod tip.  This was different than my typical method - lots of twitching and pause.

Call Owens Marina  and Herb's Tackle to see if the river is frozen. I called Herb's tackle in the morning. Owens marina never called me back.

Joe

Board footer