Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jan-01-11 8:20AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

12/24 and 12/31 Shirt-tailess and score for the good guys

I made it out hunting for a few hours on Christmas eve. Few does here and there, but nothing coming into range the woods were pretty quite.  I was reading my book when I hear squirrels scattering up trees and I look up in time to see a TURKEY gliding through the woods off to my left and land behind me.  It starts walking directly towards me from behind. I've never shot a turkey with a bow before and can't say I know where the vitals are except for the head. I swapped out my broadhead for a blunt tipped arrow from the quiver figuring I would go for a head shot. The tom walked just about directly under the tree and away. At ~15 yard I drew back and at 20 yards I put the pin on the back of its head and let it fly. That arrow couldn't have flown 1/4 of a inch over that birds head. The tom flushes like a giant grouse, gains altitude and sails off over the tree tops..

Yesterday afternoon I got out for a few hours.  I decided to put up in a area of this section of woods that I haven't hunted before.  Everything is quiet, few fox squirrels out playing, the sound of a few cars on the road. All of sudden that quiet is broken up by someone popping off a shotgun.  I give the game warden a call and he starts heading that way. A few minutes later I hear the shotgun go off again, only this time its about 100 yards off or so. A little too close for my comfort. Give the game warden a call again and let him know about where in the woods the last shot came from.  Scanning the woods with my field glasses, I can see these spots of blaze orange walking in my direction. At this point I am getting a little worried about these yokels since they are a) poaching b) trespassing c) just popping off that shot gun at anything that is moving. When they get to around 80-100 yards away 3 does flush in my direction they run off to my left and stop out there about 50-60 yards and turn around to look at these guys. The poachers start walking towards the does and stop around 60 yards in front of me. I didn't know if I should call out to them or what. I don't want to let them know I am there but don't really care for them to shoot in my general direction. The does took off those guys turned and went back towards where they came from solving my dilemma. I called the game warden back and told him about where they were and what direction they were walking in. At this time he was about 5 minutes off. About thirty minutes later I hear some yelling off in the distance in the woods. Turns out the game warden caught the guys. Score another one for the good guys.  My last hunt of the year was pretty much ruined but it was good feeling to nab these jerks. It is the morons like this that give the people who hunt and fish legit a bad name and why so many of us get an instant "NO" when we ask permission to hunt on someones land. To go walk onto another persons property with shotgun in what is pretty much a residential area and start shooting at anything brown and running is beyond reckless.

#2 Jan-01-11 4:07PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 12/24 and 12/31 Shirt-tailess and score for the good guys

No shirt tail is not a problem........At least you got out on a property that you could hunt this year when you wanted big_smile .  The property I hunted last year.............kept me out this year  sad and I had to depend on invites to hunt.  Someone was gracious enough to invite me out 4 times this year smile and I did get one with a bow the first time out big_smile .

Having permission to hunt a property Loudoun County now-a-days is a true privilege and a rare occurrence.  Second-to-worst hunting year for me in 19 years here in Loudoun.  Probably will not buy a license next season, unless I have a spot with permission to hunt.

And good for the Warden.......of course, it's a district/traffic court appearance for the bad guys.....unfortunately the fine will be minimal in VA sad .

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#3 Jan-01-11 6:50PM

Ernie
Administrator

NOVAhunter wrote:

Turns out the game warden caught the guys. Score another one for the good guys.

Excellent work!

Time to go fishin' again!

#4 Jan-02-11 4:28AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Curly wrote:

And good for the Warden.......of course, it's a district/traffic court appearance for the bad guys.....unfortunately the fine will be minimal in VA sad .

That is it??? I thought they used to confiscate the gun and vehicles used in the crime as well. Removal of all hunting privileges for life? (if these guy bother to get a license)

Board footer