Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-30-10 5:11AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

11/27 It was cold and windy

I debated about getting up and going on saturday morning since the wind was howling and I knew it was going to be chilly sitting in a tree. But much like fishing, your not going to get one sitting on the couch.

It started off as a pretty quiet morning, the squirrels weren't even moving.  By 8 with the way the wing was blowing I was thinking about getting down out of the tree and just sitting in a ground blind. The way the tree was swaying back and forth I thought I was going to end up sea sick.  Right about then I spot a deer off to my left moving through the woods feeding. I pull out the binoculars and see he is a 8pt buck.  He feeds around for about 20 min and decides to bed down. He stayed there napping on and off for the next hour and a half before getting up and disappearing.  It was funny watching him nod off and jerk back awake. Just too bad he was doing all this at 60 yards. 

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1440/5217573821_4d5ce5aa11_z.jpg

The rest of the morning was quiet till right around 11. I was getting ready to get down and move to a better spot for the after noon when a little button buck strolled on in and feed under my stand for a bit. I decided to let him walk.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5001/5218162050_ca4600f324_z.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5161/5217573647_2df34bb647_z.jpg

Once he feed his way off I climbed down and headed over to my afternoon spot. I had just finished my lunch and was getting re-situated when a fork horn came trotting by (photo not avail) at 30 yards. Not sure where he was going but he did stop for me.

Around 2 caught something moving out of the corner of my eye and it was a doe and fawn feeding their way towards me. Once they got to about 40 yards out they stopped and bedded down. And stayed there for the next 3 hours!!!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5206/5218162418_ca2462cceb_z.jpg

With them a bit up on the hill, it was tough to get stand or sit or move or do much of anything. I had to wait till the one would either nod off or start cleaning herself before I could move.

It wasn't too longer after those two showed up that I heard that distinctive clump clump clump sound of a buck walking up behind.  I'm stuck sitting because of the does off to my left, so I lean out and bend around the tree to see an 8 pt coming up the trail but moving off towards my right (i'm right handed) and at this point he is about 20 yards out so my chances of standing up and spinning all the way around are about zero.  He moves off to my right behind and cedar and stand up then but I never get a chance to draw on him. Once he was 40 or so yards out a grunted a few times but he either didn't hear due to the wind or just didn't care.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5287/5218169198_96419be573_z.jpg

I found it interesting that this bucks neck wasn't swollen at all and the one I saw in the morning and fork horn as well looked like theirs still were.

The does finally got up and started feeding at last light. By then I was getting cold and couldn't see though my peep sight any more. I lowered the bow, they spooked and took off.

*** As a side note, score one for the good guys. I got a message from one of the other guys who hunts this property that the game warden nabbed some  guy poaching with a RIFLE (this property is east of belmont ridge rd and surrounded on 2.5 sides by houses, a major road and an industrial area on the others).  This to me is just beyond reckless and I hope they throw the book at him.

Last edited by NOVAhunter (Nov-30-10 7:35AM)

#2 Nov-30-10 1:51PM

T.
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: 11/27 It was cold and windy

Right now I'm listening to rescue responding for a hunter that fell out of a stand.  A medevac will be taking him out.
This happened in the Hillsboro area.  37 year old guy, fell 20ft hitting branches on the way down.

Last edited by T. (Nov-30-10 2:16PM)

#3 Dec-01-10 6:35AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Man, deer like to bed down around you. It's great that you have all that action.

smile

#4 Dec-01-10 7:33AM

RobVT3

The first pic looks like the same 8 point you couldn't shoot a few weeks ago.  With all that action, it looks like you've got yourself a nice little spot.  Too bad the bigger 8 point didn't give you a shot.  Is that ASAT camo you're wearing?  I have the leafy suit and love it.

#5 Dec-01-10 8:47AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

RobVT3 wrote:

The first pic looks like the same 8 point you couldn't shoot a few weeks ago.  With all that action, it looks like you've got yourself a nice little spot.  Too bad the bigger 8 point didn't give you a shot.  Is that ASAT camo you're wearing?  I have the leafy suit and love it.

I probably was. I could see the tree I was in that day from where I was.

I'm wearing predator fall gray, but I do wear the ASAT when the leaves are still on the trees or if I'm on the ground. Once the leaves are off the trees and there is no place to hide in a stand, I feel like the predator does a great job of breaking up the silhouette.

I just got permission to hunt here last year and feel like its days are numbered. The owners sold off part of it last winter/spring and I have a feeling the rest will be going the same way sooner or later. Then back to writing letters, making phone calls, and kissing babies.

jumping jasper wrote:

Man, deer like to bed down around you.

I just set up along the sunny - southern facing hillside figuring that is where they would be bedding and traveling on saturday.  Part 2 is, there is a pretty health population of deer out there. They gotta sleep someplace, why not under my tree right?

Last edited by NOVAhunter (Dec-01-10 8:56AM)

#6 Dec-01-10 9:40AM

RobVT3

Have you taken anything out there this year?  What model Mathews is that?  I shoot a Legacy.

#7 Dec-02-10 4:33AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

RobVT3 wrote:

Have you taken anything out there this year?  What model Mathews is that?  I shoot a Legacy.

Nothing yet. I have only had a few days that I could hunt the whole day. Other than that it been a morning here and an afternoon there with the wife and I having to be someplace or do something.  It seems like most of my opportunities have been when I need to be home within a hour or so and that wouldn't leave me time to track, field dress and get it hung and cooled down.

I shoot a mathews shadow. It was one of the first ones they made. I've been trolling craigslist looking for an ovation or conquest. The problem is that I have a 32" draw and they don't make many with that draw length anymore.

#8 Dec-02-10 6:40AM

RobVT3

Yeah...my Legacy is a 30" draw and probably a little short for me.  With a loop I guess it's about 30.5".  Unfortunately I haven't been able to bowhunt this year for some of the same reasons you mentioned but also because I sprained my wrist pretty badly before the season started.  It's still not 100%, but much better than it was before.  I may have to get the bow out this weekend to test it out.  Keep the pictures coming...

Board footer