Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-17-06 5:07PM

Ernie
Administrator

9-15/16-06, Ammonoosuc River (NH) trout fishing report

I was attending a conference at the Mt. Washington Resort in Bretton Woods NH and I read that the Ammonoosuc River was close by. Was it ever! It was about a mile from the front door. Fly fishing paradise!

I had never fly fished a cold water stream/river before but I had received a lot of mentoring from a few folks which kept me out of trouble.

While I did not have much time to fish, I managed to get 2 hours in on Friday (3-5 PM) and close to 2 hours on Saturday 1-3 PM. My $15 One Day NH license went for 3 PM Friday to 3 PM Saturday.

On Day 1, I hit the river right under the bridge that leads to the resort. I had 9 hits and caught 5 brookies including one native. I was very proud of this accomplishment. Weather was slightly overcast and 75 degrees.

On Day 2, I tried another place (got a ride) and it was a no go for the 1/2 mile that I waded.....ZERO hits. When I came back to where I had put in, a couple of guys had caught 2 rainbows but they were using live worms in a real deep pool. I went back to my original spot and caught 2 more including a native beauty (see pix). I only had 20 minutes before my license expired. I also missed 2 more that hit the dry fly.

Interestingly, I caught all the fish across stream or downstream! I used some dry flies and also a streamer but the top action was the coolest!

The temp was 80+ on Saturday and it was bright and sunny.

I enjoyed adding this to all the different fishing that I do!

I think Joe Cap (my fly fishing casting instructor) has created a monster. I lost 6-7 flies but only 2 were from stupidity. The others were lost as I was casting to a very small window thinking I could get the fly in there. I got it in there most of the time all right but a few times I went a bit far and caught a rock or a tree!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer