Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Sep-09-06 6:20PM

Ernie
Administrator

9-9-06, PaxFest- Patuxtent River and Chesapeake Bay

Today I participated in my first PaxFest "dawn patrol". My fishing partner was Sebastian O'Kelly, author of the "Off Beat Angler". We had never met.

We put in at 6 AM (95 miles form home) under the Solomons Bridge which is at the mouth of the Patuxtent River. It was still dark and off we went to head out to the Chesapeake Bay. It was a run of about 12 minutes. We stated fly fishing the rips on some rocks at the point just off the Pax River Naval Base.  Nothing doing (we later found out why) so we joined the fleet as they were hanging around the working birds. Some of the guys were catching some decent stripers on light tackle. The trollers were also catching but smaller fish. Finally, some of the guys fishing a fly were also hooking into some stripers. But not us.

After a while we decided to hit the rocks again (no one there). Both Sebastian and I preferred throwing to structure so this made sense. On his 1st catch, BAM...fish on and a nice keeper (back in the water he went to be caught another day). We made a few drifts and Sebastian kept catching. He caught 4-5 nice keepers. I was learning to cast better but I did not catch any fish.

Before we went in, we even tried to find some white perch but these are foreign waters to me so no go on the WP.

I enjoyed fishing with Sebastian...great guy and he taught me a few things that will be helpful as I master fly fishing.

Great day on the water...the bay was slick calm!

Ernie

ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Sep-10-06 10:13PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 9-9-06, PaxFest- Patuxtent River and Chesapeake Bay

That was Debbie's truck...mine blew a fuel pump, 2nd time in 2 months! It was a miracle that she let me hook up!

Ernie

#3 Sep-13-06 8:32PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 9-9-06, PaxFest- Patuxtent River and Chesapeake Bay

I am keeping the 'hoe until it dies! They installed a new fuel pump for $0.00 and put a new fuse board in for $150. I think I did OK. Both of the tows (car and boat) were covered by insurance (Geico & US BOAT).  I was lucky I was close to home. Next tow trip....Potomac River for White Perch and Stripers on Sept. 22-23.

Ernie

Board footer