Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Nov-06-10 10:34PM

stcroixgreg16

20 man team tournament on Kerr

Well, im going to start by saying i fish Kerr dam to much, at the end of our regular tournament series, the top 20 anglers in the region move on to the 20 man tournament, with ten regions in virginia around 200 of the top anglers compete at kerr for 2 days, the limit is four fish. I fished kerr for 3 days of practice and 2 tournament days, on wednsday, my partner and i fished crankbaits on riprap around bridges, for a good portion of the day we were succesful with 3 keepers and a 6 pound freshwater drum, on thursday we fished for a total of 10 hours and figured out, a pattern on main lake points, we would pull up on a point with a deep rocky drop and throw a crankbait or a texas rigged brush hog (ill never tell my secret color), dealing with the crankbait, we finally figured out that it was the wobble, not the color i through a dd22 shad color while my partner tossed a 4-8 diver with a red crawfish color. we still caught bass, with a wide wobble.

On Friday we had a major cold front move in with a south south east wind at 40 mph that lasted from the time we arrived wednsday to the time we left on sunday at 4 o clock, we also had 6 inches of rain to make matters worse, so we headed to the back of rudds creek and fished creek points hoping to get a keeper or two the air temp was around 32 degrees from nightfall till 12 o clock when we got out of the water.  we had heard rumors that the water had turned over and there were shad balls the size of my truck sitting back on the flats of creeks, well that wasnt true for now.

On saturday morning we had over 150 anglers competing for two places on the state team, and over a good sum of cash, the first day my randomly selected partner fished eastlands creek we found a point that went from 5 to 20 feet deep with small rock...scattered around, we caught fish but they were short, around 11:00 we moved to rudds and caught 2 keepers out of 4 in a limit off of a wide bend point in about 10 feet of water, those were the only keepers we had, i figured out that i caught those keepers dragging texas rigged brushhogs up the slope and bumped them off of rocks, and they smacked it.  on the first day i weighed in 2 fish at 3.44 pounds, i was in 62 place out of 152 anglers,  the leading weight was 13.74 pounds, only a handful brought in a 4 fish limit. 

On day 2 which was sunday, we took off at 7:30 in the morning and headed to eastlands creek, we caught fish under the 14 inch limit, at 10:40 we made a quick run to rudds creek in the speedy stratos bass boat, we caught fish again under the 14 inch limit, we did not have another bite until 1:45 when we couldnt get any hits off of the main lake points we found 3 schools of shad in the back of a pocket in rushing creek, i had 3 keepers in less than twenty minutes and 2 stippers wheighing about 17 pounds, we caught each keeper on a white spinerbait, violently burning it across the surface of the water.  with only 10 minutes to spare we raced back to weigh in at the kerr dam around north bend. my final weight was 8.3 pounds i moved up to the 23rd place out of 152 anglers, and came in at number 1 in my region, the president of the virginia bass federation said that he looked and found that i was the only 17 year old angler in the tbf, on the eastern seaboard. 

i am now into my second season on the tbf tour, and im competing in the bfl on the potomac in july of 2011 and fishing the stren hopefully in my 2nd year of college.  i made a good check and placed high, and will be heading back to kerr 2 times in april.  im officially in love with that amazing fishery.

Greg Ravitsky

#2 Nov-07-10 4:19AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 20 man team tournament on Kerr

Nicely done Greg! You left 129 older guys looking in the mirror!

Thanks for the outstanding report...I hope you don't mind that I edited the paragraphs, makes it easier to read.

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Nov-07-10 8:53AM

stcroixgreg16

No problem! I was on a roll typing this, totally forgot about it.

#4 Nov-07-10 10:00AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

That's sick man!  Congrats!

Board footer