Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Oct-07-10 10:52AM

NOVAhunter
Northern Snakehead

Oct 2 Hunting Report

I went out for opening day of archery. Due to honey do list (that thing never ends does it?), it was just going to be a morning hunt.  Some how in the dark of 545 in the am I found the tree I wanted first shot.  There wasn't any frost on the pumpkin but it was chilly waiting for the sun to come up. I could hear some moving around there around dawn but just couldn't see anything yet.  Around 730 I had two little six pointers (may have been 8's I couldn't see brow tines) come by feeding on white oak acorns. They were about 40 yards out or so.  A little after 8 a herd of fox squirrels went running by. I can't say that I ever saw one before. They look like they are the size of a cat next to a gray squirrel.  Around 945 I had two does and two fawns come feeding by. The fawns still had bright spots on them and were actually trying to still nurse. At that point I decided I was going to let them the does walk.  But, they had other ideas. They decided to bed down 20 yards from me.  I was stuck standing with my bow in hand and resting on my knee. After what seemed like an eternity, I slowly slid down into the seat on my stand (by slowly it probably took 5 min of moving with the wind).  They sat there cat napping and chewing their cud for a while so I decided to try and get my camera from my backpack and snap a picture or two. It was probably a 10 - 15 ordeal to slide my hand around to the back of the tree, slowly un-zip the front pocket, slowly dig for the camera strap, slowly pull it back up and out and on to my lap and pull it from the case. I was thinking I was going to get some cool pictures of these 4, so I power on and all of sudden the stupid camera starts beeping to let me know that my batteries are almost dead. All 4 look up at me, I look at them as I am pressing every button on the thing to get it shut up, they snort and bound off 20 or so yards and look back one more time before trotting off with their tails held high.  Oh well, there is always next saturday.

#2 Oct-07-10 12:04PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Oct 2 Hunting Report

Great story!!

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer