Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » CONSERVATION
  •  » Potomac River Bass Catch and Release Area- Action Required!

#1 Sep-30-10 10:24AM

Ernie
Administrator

Potomac River Bass Catch and Release Area- Action Required!

One of our members, Salmo, posted this on Tidal Fish but I thought this wa very important to us. Please take note and action if so inclined.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The DNR has a proposal out that would eliminate the existing catch and release area of the Potomac for bass between the Mouth of the Monocacy and Seneca Breaks.

Why.... who knows? No reason really except that the DNR thinks the C&R section has done nothing for the river compared to other areas that are open to harvest. Most of the fishermen I know and the popular guides like Ken Penrod et all strongly disagree as this is one of the better sections of the river for quality and quantity for smallmouth and largemouth.

So, if you feel opposed to the discontinuing of the C&R section so close to Washington DC, please attend the Public Meeting or send an email to the address below stating you are opposed to the discontinuing of the Catch and Release section on the Potomac. If enough interest and public comment is received, the DNR will recommend the withdrawal of this proposal.

Here is a quote from Thomas O’Connell of the MD DNR, " I will commit to you that if there remains a clear majority amongst the public for keeping the C&R regulation, I will recommend that the Department withdraw this proposed regulatory change."

Send emails to: Srivers@dnr.state.md.us, fisheriespubliccomment@dnr.state.md.us and kenpenrod@comcast.net. Please put 2011 Nontidal Regulations in the subject line

Public meeting on October 21, 2010 at 7pm at Greenbrier State Park Visitor Center, 21843 National Pike, Boonsboro, MD 21713

Here are the proposals:

Item number 6 is of major concern.

"remove the Potomac River from Dam No. 2 (Seneca Breaks) upstream to the mouth of the Monocacy River from the list of Catch-and-Return Bass Fishing Areas and make this section of the Potomac subject to general statewide bass regulations. "

But... did you see item number 3,

"expand the Catch and Return Trout Fishing Area Artificial Lures area on the North Branch of the Potomac River at Barnum upstream approximately ¼ mile to new bank and overhead markers to provide fishing for anglers who use the Paul Sarbanes Trail to access the river."

There will be state records that will fall if this happens. Except it's all catch and release so I guess they won't count. But I can tell you, there are giants in those waters. Wow. how cool. It will be like the opening of the lower fly zone on the Salmon River.

Better get there early.

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 Oct-04-10 11:11AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Potomac River Bass Catch and Release Area- Action Required!

Maryland Fisheries Service has scheduled a public hearing to discuss the proposed regulations for Inland Fisheries for 2011.  The meeting will be held on Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 7pm at Greenbrier State Park Visitor Center, 21843 National Pike, Boonsboro, MD 21713

#3 Oct-04-10 11:12AM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: Potomac River Bass Catch and Release Area- Action Required!

I will be out of town....I hope some folks get to go.

• Index
  •  » CONSERVATION
  •  » Potomac River Bass Catch and Release Area- Action Required!

Board footer