Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-02-10 1:36PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

7/31/10 Bay Bridge Live-Lining from Kayak

I finally had the chance to get out in my kayak! I went to the Bay Bridge Saturday morning and it was shaping up to be a typical trip- depth finder having issues, multiple trips to the car for forgetting stuff, etc... but then things got better! Here's the report I wrote for another kayak group.

Fished Saturday morning from 6 am - 11:45 am at the Bay Bridge.

Launched from the east side and started looking for spot at the shallow pilings. They were everywhere! I was using night crawlers that I had left over from a fishing trip with my nephew and fish bites, but it didn't matter, they would have hit anything! I caught about a dozen in 10 minutes and put them in my bucket/aerator live-well. The two other guys I was with made bait and we decided to head to the sewer pipe because we'd never fished this side of the bridge before.

Found the pipe, but not much going on. Lots of bait everywhere with some small blues nipping at them. After one guy lost three spot to blues we decided to head for the pilings because they were filling up fast!

Got to the bridge and found a set of pilings without boats on them. My friend almost immediately hooks up with a nice fat 22'' rock! It looks like it's not going to make it so we keep this one for dinner. Then he hooks up 2 or 3 more times. I keep working the double span I am in and soon I have a fish on also! Woops... this one wrapped me and broke my line. I had 2 other breakoffs before I finally got a fish! 20" and fat, decided to keep this one too because the hook (despite being a circle) was in the top of his throat and it took me a little long to get it out. I'm sure the fish would have made it, but with the water temps in the 80s it seemed more responsible to keep it. I lost that hook and put on a larger circle hook after. All hook ups in the corner of the mouth after that.

I caught 4 or 5 live-lining and then ran out of spot. I decided that since we were having such a good day that I would try throwing this custom jig a guy I know down on Smith Mountain Lake makes. It's called the swamp monkey and I was using the spunky monkey pattern with a white ice fluke. On the second cast I got a small bump and set the hook. The fish shot straight underneath me and out of the pilings. I paddled out and began going for a small ride! It was a lot of fun on my light rod that I'd been using to make bait. It ended up being a 27.5'' rock and the largest of the day!

After this the fishing started to die down and we caught maybe 2 or 3 more rock. The blues kicked up and we caught a bunch of those and decided to call it a day. It was a great day in the kayaks and I can't wait to get back out there! It seemed we were catching more than most as I only saw a few boats land fish. I think we probably could have caught more if we'd changed locations, but we all had things to do later in the day.

Here's a link to the swamp monkey so you can see it - http://corefishingtackle.com/CoreSwampMunkeys.html

And some pictures:

The pipe:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LtCJkp6ExRo/TFYHZ … 310423.JPG

Friend with a nice 23"

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LtCJkp6ExRo/TFYKm … 310428.JPG

Largest:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LtCJkp6ExRo/TFYHZ … /photo.JPG

Dinner:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LtCJkp6ExRo/TFYjY … to%204.JPG

I'll make sure to post more information (or John will since he is organizing) about the upcoming meet and greet scheduled for the 14th.

#2 Aug-02-10 2:03PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: 7/31/10 Bay Bridge Live-Lining from Kayak

Outstanding!!

If the fish were holding on to the pilings, you guys were in much better position than any boat!

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Aug-02-10 2:08PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Ernie- For sure, the fish were right on the pilings and I was up against them. The double pilings were more productive and I would position myself in between the "hallway". It made fighting fish pretty interesting though!

#4 Aug-02-10 7:27PM

AnF

Wow! I like that dinner photo. wink

Great write up. Did you banged around pretty good during the fight?

#5 Aug-02-10 8:24PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

I got pretty lucky actually it went pretty much straight under me. My tip went hard down in to the water and I loosened the drag while paddling out with one hand. Once I was out of the pilings it was pretty straight forward and it tired quickly after pulling my boat around! Very fun experience and I can't wait to get back out.

#6 Aug-02-10 8:58PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Nice!  I can't wait to be down at school to do that!  Where did you go out of? And how far of a paddle?

#7 Aug-03-10 3:33AM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

Hemmingways on the eastern shore, there is a small beach there that you can see as you drive over the bridge. Paddle was very short, less than a mile?

#8 Aug-03-10 12:15PM

FishSauce

I noticed from the picture your friend was in a SINK, does he feels pretty safe in that?  I rarely see SINK in reports/pictures fishing in the Bay.

#9 Aug-03-10 8:45PM

Redfish12
Northern Snakehead
Website

We said the same thing when we were getting ready to launch! He had no trouble keeping up with us and had a pretty good system all figured out for his gear, rods, bait bucket, depthfinder, anchor, etc... much more organized than me and he was all dry inside. It was a very calm day so I am sure that helped not having a skirt and everything.

I personally do not like SINKs... I feel confined and I worry I won't be able to get out or flip back over or get back in... I like the freedom of my sit on top and I can even stand and paddle mine as long as it's not too choppy. I'm 6'1 195 so it's not the easiest thing to do in the world...

Board footer