Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#26 Jul-16-10 8:57AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Re: Snakeheads by kayak!

Just got back from Curly and my trip to snakehead territory, I'll let him post his report when he gets home, I'll just say it was a success!

And guys as far as equipment goes, braid is preferred since it floats and they will bury in deep and mono or flouro might not cut it! I fish 65lb on a 7'6" Extra Heavy casting rod but you can get away with spinning and 15lb braid..As far as lure's go I love to fish hollow body frogs like spros or tru tungstens. I also like soft plastics frogs like horny toads or rage or what have you. Buzzbaits also work but aren't weedless so that's up to you if you want to keep removing salad from your blades. Weightless flukes walked up top work too but dont move quite enough water for my liking. These are beefy fish, and beefy presentation will get you big strikes from under the thickest of mats.

Also I like to fish them at certain tides, usually the window from 3 hours before til 3 hours after a low tide will give use the optimum time to fish skinny water. I will look at a tide chart and see which of these upcoming days well give use the most time to fish. I'm assuming we are doing a weekend trip....and since this is a small community ramp parking is limited and I dont want to clog up the parking area with just our cars, ideally no more then 5 cars would be fine so if anyone can load more than one yak in their vehicles and is willing to transport an extra yaker that would be fantastic! So lets make this happen boys!!

Last edited by Thai (Jul-16-10 8:59AM)

#27 Jul-16-10 4:06PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

How does Saturday the 7th of August look for everyone? Low tide will be around 12:43PM and topwater should be in full swing by then in the creek. If we start at 7am or 8am it would give us 7-8 solid hours of good fishing for both bass and NSH.

Last edited by Thai (Jul-16-10 4:07PM)

#28 Jul-16-10 4:12PM

Ernie
Administrator

I am out for that day but don't let me hold this train up......

Time to go fishin' again!

#29 Jul-16-10 4:19PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

just throwing ideas out  for now there personally I would rather do an evening float til dusk to maximize on the insane topwater bites that time of the year

#30 Jul-16-10 4:37PM

Ernie
Administrator

For me, PMs would work best but it's tough to take the yaks to work. So...let me get this started, here are some possible dates:

July- 25, 27 or 29
Aug- 2, 4, 6, 8

#31 Jul-16-10 5:47PM

AnF

Thai wrote:

I dont know who Ernie has in mind for the guide and I dont want to stick my own foot in my mouth so soon but if you guys are going with me the area we would fish is sink safe, it's no more than 6' deep at the deepest and clear, there is current from the tidal influence but it's nothing you UP guys aren't use too

Excellent! Whatever date you guys choose is fine with me. I'll add it to my calendar, but a thing or two. wink

#32 Jul-17-10 8:19AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Hopefully I can make the date that you guys choose!  The sooner the date is picked the better.

#33 Jul-17-10 10:58AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

I think if we shoot for August 6th we could get on some serious fish, I know it's a Friday but I have a TX on the 8th so that's a no go, I could also do another trip on the 7th if some cant go out on the 6th. But August would be the month to shoot for since topwater is on big time

#34 Jul-22-10 5:21AM

jffoley
Northern Snakehead

I'm new to the group and would enjoy a group outing to meet you guys. But I have family in town the first week of August! Arghhh!

I can generally do weeknights. Next week except the 29th. Maybe Saturday Aug 7th depending on the family visit. Just about any weeknight thereafter.

Cobra Explorer Kayak
Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Co-Founder
www.cbkainc.com

#35 Jul-22-10 5:53AM

Ernie
Administrator

The way this works is to nail down a date and just go.....if the 6th is good, who is in?

If the date does not work then we can start up another "Want to go fishing".

#36 Jul-22-10 6:34AM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

I'll be in Montana on the 6th. I am free this weekend though.......

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#37 Jul-22-10 11:08AM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Is the trip on the 6th gonna be a morning or evening float?

#38 Jul-22-10 12:59PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

CozUF2001 wrote:

Coz..........Welcome to "Whale Shark" Status big_smile . Wonder what Ernie has in store for the 2000 posts status?

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

#39 Jul-22-10 2:10PM

CozUF2001
Patagonian Toothfish
Website

Curly wrote:

CozUF2001 wrote:

Coz..........Welcome to "Whale Shark" Status big_smile . Wonder what Ernie has in store for the 2000 posts status?

Thanks! I imagine it will simply become the "Curly" status!

If it were easy, they'd call it catching!

#40 Jul-22-10 2:52PM

Ernie
Administrator

No plans 'cause the system won't let me add unless I delete a category.....

Board footer