Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Mar-16-08 5:17PM

Derrick B

My 1st BIG Bass of the season at Beech, 3-16-08

I joined your forum a month ago, but haven't had anything to share until now.

After getting skunked or maybe bringing in a single catatonic brim per outing over the past few weeks with my flyrod, the recent reports you guys have been sending made me reach for my light tackle angling rod since the wind was up, and my flies weren't getting it done.  So here's how it went at Beech at about 3:30:

First cast with a Fox minnow spinner brought in a little bass...a good sign.  After a few minutes I changed to a jighead and Berkely tail and caught maybe 5 more of not more than 1 lb. while making my way to the spillway (or whatever that exposed steel/concrete structure is that flows into Cedar).

I casted and landed my jig/tail right on top of the structure, and let it fall right in front of it.   I waited a couple of seconds and thought I actually got caught on the steel bars, but nope, I had a hookset.   First I thought it might have been a catfish since it didn't fight like a big bass.

After a slight drag adjustment and maybe 25-30 seconds, I landed the LARGEST BASS I HAVE EVER SEEN from ANY of the Ashburn Lakes.    If this bubba wasn't still a little woozy from the winter slowdown, I believe my 6lb test would NOT have held. 

Thank you, Lord !!!

#2 Mar-16-08 5:24PM

Ernie
Administrator

Re: My 1st BIG Bass of the season at Beech, 3-16-08

Derrick,

That is outstanding...you will sleep well tonight. Congratulations on a great catch!

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

#3 Mar-17-08 8:16AM

jumping jasper
Patagonian Toothfish

Way to go Derrick. Welcome to the board. Time to start bringing you camera.

smile

#4 Mar-17-08 3:28PM

Derrick B

Curly,
It did have red or rust discoloration on its tail...I would like to see check out your your pic but I am unable to open the photos that you guys post here through the Forum.  The size sounds pretty close as I guessed around +6 lb. range.

Board footer