Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-02-10 8:48AM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

Pav friday

Decided to go to pavilion to do some froggin. i used a scum frog with 50lb braid. i got plenty of blowups. hooked a decent one the jumped and looked to be way over 2lbs. it threw the hook and the jump along with 4 others that threw the hook when they jumped. i didnt know what i was doing wrong because i was waiting then setting the hook. all in all i landed 2 . 1 was a punk. and the other was no bigger than the frog. by the time the bigger one that i caught bit i was P O'd and for the fun of it i loaded up on him. and i hooked him so good it took me a few minutes to get the hook out. it was a good morning even though i didnt catch the bigger one.

P.S.- i saw a carp laying in the shallows so i threw the frog at him. he followed it then boom he nailed it but he got off after a few seconds. that would have been a fun fight.

#2 Jul-02-10 8:49AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Pav friday

what kind of rod are you using? Most people use long 7.5 foot, heavy rods to get good penetration on hooksets.

#3 Jul-02-10 8:53AM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

im using a 6'6 bass pro mega cast. its nothing special but real stiff and i think its medium heavy. i used to have a matching reel on it but i just recently got a abu ambassador

#4 Jul-02-10 9:09AM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

A longer rod would help but isn't completely necessary. Just make sure you reel down on the slack and really cross their eyes.

#5 Jul-02-10 12:22PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

yea i did that a few times but they would spit it out or they would throw it on the jump

#6 Jul-02-10 12:32PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

If you set the hook properly with braid and the right type of rod there is no reason to lose many fish. If you are setting the hook properly and the fish are big enough to be getting the whole bait into their mouths then I'd say longer rod might help.

#7 Jul-02-10 12:57PM

redskinsfan360
Patagonian Toothfish

Dan is right about the hook set.  I was told numerous of times that my hookset was not hard enough and I was like pshhh bc I thought it was.  Then I fished a tournment and the guy I was fishing with taught me how to do it right by example with some good anologies.  I do not lost as many fish now.  Next time your at my house and I am home I can show you what he taught me.

#8 Jul-02-10 2:04PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

^Exactly. A lot of guys think they are setting the hook hard but they aren't. They don't know what a hard hook set is until they see one. I'm not saying that is the case with you, but it could be. If so, it's a relatively easy thing to fix.

#9 Jul-02-10 2:27PM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

Thanks guys for the tips.. i started to lose them because when i set the hook i would yank it out of they're mouths also. i lost mainly small ones. the bigger ones i just didnt get a good enough hook set then.

#10 Jul-02-10 2:37PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

That's the hardest part about frog fishing--allowing the fish that 2-3 seconds before you set the hook. The good news is that once you get that timing down, it's automatic (at least until winter)

#11 Jul-03-10 7:03AM

buckshot
Northern Snakehead

yea . i was trying to wait but if a waited to long they would spit it out. the thing is that most of the fish that bite are tiny. so they just barely get the frog in they're mouthes. thats why i use the scum frogs. they are small and catch both big and little. i have many spro poppers and the regular ones. i have caught a few on them too. but for some reason they like the scum frog just being reeled slow.

Board footer