Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Aug-17-06 5:42PM

Ernie
Administrator

8-7-06, Nags Head NC ocean/sound report

I was able to book one of my favorite guides, Donnie Davis of DOA, for a 1/2 day on Monday, 8/7. We set out to look for Cobias in the calm ocean. We ran all the way to Kitty Hawk (20+ miles)and back (not usually done on a 1/ 2 day trip) but we did not see one Cobia. As a matter of fact, we saw quite a few bait pods but no big fish near them.

Fising for Cobia is a stalking & hunting game. You look for breaks in current, water color, water temps...whatever. But we never saw any of these.  The water temp in the ocean (300-700 yards from the beach) was between 83-85 degrees.

After a while, we gave up and headed to the inlet. Donnie had a few fresh shrimp and little live croakers left over from his AM trip so we went to a secret spot to see if we could catch a red drum. It happened, we caught a red drum, it was a nice 4-5 pounder!! We also caught a few keeper size sheep head.

Finally, a little after 6 PM, we called it a day (we started at noon).

Fishing was slow (it seemed to be that way all week) but I had a great time on the DOA! I always learn something from Donnie.

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer