Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 May-04-10 5:27PM

Ernie
Administrator

Tue. Apr. 27, 2010, AVCA BoD Meeting notes

Gene may is the chair of the L & P committee. He has been attending AV Board meetings and then he reports out.  The 1st part are the notes and the 2nd part are hs opinions. This is lots of info but good info!

************************************************************************************************************************
Report: Tue. Apr 27, 2010, AVCA BoD meeting
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 15:19:06 -0400

1. John Olbrys, Perry Immerman, Charlie McKinney & I attended this meeting.  This note uses Charlie's quick report as a "starter" and fills it in some.  I have coordinated it with those three to make sure that I haven't forgotten anything significant.  I have tried to keep my opinions separate from "just the facts, m'am", but when I haven't, none of those three are responsible for them, and don't necessarily share them.

2. Some early, internal buzz had indicated that the Board would probably again delay the vote on the AVSP expansion/renovations to an even later date.  They did more.

3. There was a discussion item on the agenda entitled, "Change in Vote for AVSP Expansion."  In short, the BOD voted to kill the $11M expansion & renovation project as currently structured and to initiate a 5-10 year plan to incrementally do what is needed for maintaining the pavilion within current budget from existing reserves and CIP ("capital improvement plan")funds.

4. The AVSP Expansion Committee recommended this measure for the BOD's consideration. Doug gave Charlie a copy of the recommendation to read before they voted on it and that's in essence what it said.  It is posted on the AV HOA website now.  I strongly encourage you to read this complete "background plus motion" of the BoD's action; go to   www.ashburnvillage.com, then select in turn, "Residents", "Latest News", and "Pavilion Expansion Update Apr 28, 2010".

5. Only 5 members of the BOD were present, including the Treasurer who arrived just before the vote. The vote was unanimous to accept the recommendation.  It appears that at least theoretically, the BOD no longer has the authority to even hold a homeowners vote on this issue, at least at this time.

6. I asked two questions:

a.  "Would future meetings of any committee that met and worked on Sports Pavilion modifications, repairs, expansion, improvements, etc., meet at publicly announced times and places, and would these meetings be open to residents?"  Doug said yes.

b.  "Would future specific Sports Pavilion proposals, modifications, repairs, improvements, etc., be considered for acceptance on a project-by-project or case-by-case basis?  Or would residents be presented with 'all-or-nothing' packages like what had been attempted up to now?"  There was discussion on this, which explained that since future work would be done on a year-by-year basis, proposals would be presented yearly as part of the budget, and as a result, would be small and not bunches of proposals.

7. During the meeting, spread out in the discussions, Doug stated that according to our governing documents, the BoD could increase the budget, including new projects and expenditures, 10% per year without residents voting on the budget, and that expenditures on the SP could be done that way.  This was called "nominal increases in monthly dues".

8. There was mention of hiring another contractor/consultant to provide recommendations on the 5 - 10 year plan for sports pavilion work.

*****************MY OPINIONS FOLLOW**********************

1.  I firmly believe our efforts to date have had an important & significant impact leading to the decision by the Board to back-off, especially our combined extended comments during the Pavilion Committee meeting on 24 March.  This shows what we can do.

2.  While all the above is certainly encouraging and really is a victory for Village Homeowners, personally I do not trust this matter to "go away". 

a.  We still must be prepared to move at a moment's notice with our flyer & neighborhood-by-neighborhood sign-up effort to maximize the NO vote, in case something procedural and sneaky might be done.

b.  Also, we need to continue with our effort to re-elect David Austin to the Board.  In addition, we need 3 more of our own to step-up to the plate and also run to fill the other 3 open BOD seats this fall.

c.  As Randy pointed out in a separate comment earlier, and as Doug mentioned more than once during the discussion concerning dropping consideration of the two proposals, the BoD is able to increase the annual budget 10% per year without having to take it to a community vote.  To me, it is clear that the present majority on the BoD plans to do exactly that.  Stated plainly, this action simply requires the BoD to spread out the expansion of the sports pavilion over several years, but allows them the opportunity to do so without ever going to the residents for approval. 

3.  There are at least two issues that were left unaddressed by the Board action:

a.  The issue of (5% of the residents) + 1 vote being able to obligate us all to a mortgage;

b.  The issue of 82% of us paying for 18% using the SP.

4.  I have heard repeatedly during BoD meetings that changing our documents is a very difficult and expensive process.  I don't believe that; I think such comments are a smoke screen.  I think we should start looking into how to go about making such changes.  We need to change the number of residents that have to approve mortgages and other encumbrances, and to limit expenditures to taking care of what we now have and to exclude expenditures on facilities that serve limited numbers of people.  In order to do this, we will have to elect a majority of the BoD this fall.

Gene May

Time to go fishin' again!

#2 May-04-10 5:58PM

Curly
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Tue. Apr. 27, 2010, AVCA BoD Meeting notes

My favorite link on this:.............a must see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oquRuZian80

Hell or High Water...........I'm Fishin!!   big_smile

Board footer