Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Jul-29-06 6:46PM

Ernie
Administrator

7-29-06, Potomac River fishing report

Curly and I left Ashburn at 4:20 AM so that we could get a slightly cooler head start for fishing the Potomac.

We got to Swan Pt by 6:45 Am and we immediately stated throwing top water baits (me) and a white pig ‘n jig (Curly). We were fishing for striped bass….yes, you heard it right, Curly was throwing a pig ‘n jig for stripers. I have never seen such a thing! A few minutes later, he lands the 1st of 28 stripers…this one was just short of legal (17.89”).  Of the 28 he caught, twelve were using top water baits and the rest on the pig 'n jig. I managed to land 5 stripers, all on top water. He also got in to a fight with a cow nose ray (+10 lbs!) but they ray got off right at the boat!

The striper bite shut down at 8:30 so we started looking for white perch and we got into them….a total of 127! But we only managed 5 keepers. Where are all the bigger white perch??  Mystery!

The highlight for me was catching a 4.3 lb channel cat on my toothpick ultra light 5’ rod with 4 lb line. That was a cool battle and Curly did a masterful job of landing him with a net.

At dead low tide (noon) we decided to explore the river to see if we could jig up a striper or two in deeper water. Twenty five miles later we had ZERO fish to show for our efforts. We marked bait, we saw bait and we even got a few nibbles but we did not succeed. So we ran to the Cobb Island light for some more jiggin’ and top water throwin' when we saw a big storm a coming and decided to high tail it to Shamansky's Marina. Right before we got there and huge thunder clap sounded and Curly and I about wet our pants! Luckily we beat the downpour in and we took a nice 1 hour break and shot the bull with Richard and Butch. After the storm, we went back to Swan Pt. and started to get into some action when we looked over our shoulders and another storm was gaining on us so we high tailed it back to the marina again, but this time we got wet so we called it a day at 5:15.

Hot day (long day too), calm river and excellent fishing! Water quality was iffy in a few places.

Ernie

Time to go fishin' again!

Board footer