Pacemaker Fishing Forum

Welcome Aboard!

You are not logged in.

#1 Feb-27-10 7:23PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Where'd all the YP go?!

Thai and I were supposed to fish a local lake today but as my alarm clock went off this morning at 7am, so did my phone! CARL WAS CALLING! I got myself together and tried to sound like I was awake. We had originally planned to get out and fish the occoquan sunday but, after checking the forecast, Carl wanted to get out today as well. So Thai and I met up Carl at his house at 10 and were on the water by 11ish (we got distracted with all the cool things around Carl's house big_smile )

Within a few cast at our first spot, as Ernie would say, we got the skunk off the boat! Carl hooked up with a very nice yellow perch.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/occoquan2-27001.jpg

It was tough....we were hoping to break the 106 fish day but it wasn't looking good. We hopped from dock to dock, from one end of the river to the next with little luck. There were other guys out there jigging silver buddies but they weren't having much luck either.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/occoquan2-27002.jpg

Thai and I tried a few different techniques but weren't having much luck with that either. They laughed at me for taking this picture but hey, I take what i can get!!!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/occoquan2-27004.jpg

and then, I caught a decent guy fishing a drop shot!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/occoquan2-27005.jpg

There was a dink here and there but nothing of size until Carl hooked into something that was putting up a very different kind of fight.....

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/occoquan2-27007.jpg

....cuz it was the sole of a shoe! (I told you I'd post it!)

I foul hooked a blue gill that made me think it was a big fish, (hooked it in the side) and then proceeded to hook Thai...(please don't let this discourage you from ever wanting to fish with you!). Then I hooked into something that was really giving a good fight considering the 37* water temps!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/occoquan2-27008.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b181/andrewdo124/occoquan2-27009.jpg

Carl wouldn't let it on the boat!

Remember guys, its not how you catch a fish, it's THAT you catch a fish big_smile

Despite the windy conditions, the murky water, and the mediocre fishing, we had a blast and were very grateful that Carl took us out on his boat! Lots of fun talks that made the day a very pleasant one.

Thanks Carl!

#2 Feb-27-10 7:45PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

Re: Where'd all the YP go?!

I'm glad you guys were able to accompany Carl. Fishing isn't as fun by yourself, especially when you have to deal with the boat. Hopefully the water will clear up and the fish will start biting again.

Great post Andrew.

Did Carl give you a tour of the shop? I'll bet he made sure to show you his trophy crappie mount!

#3 Feb-27-10 7:55PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Yes he did! The woodshop and all his mounts. We think he needs a snakehead mounted or at least one to scare the squirrels away from his bird feeders...

#4 Feb-27-10 8:07PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Despite the less than desirable condition I had fun today! Very grateful to Carl for hosting and especially grateful to Andrew for missing my eye by inches! There's one mount I think would look even cooler than a snakehead in his office....

wait for it.....

TILAPIA! I told Carl we should get his boat out there sometime, he could put the time in on some unique mounts to say the least! Maybe a koi to boot!

#5 Feb-27-10 8:12PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

Speakin of boots, we shoulda mounted that one! It was atleast a size 13!! I kid!

#6 Feb-28-10 2:30AM

Carl
Northern Snakehead

You guys were great!  I'm always thankful for the help. Andrew, you take terrific pictures! Now, we need to pick a day to go back and redeem ourselves. The yellow perch are still there; I know because they are full of eggs. Thanks for not mentioning my total buffoonery when it came to driving the boat back on the trailer; Mo and Dan have spoiled me. I usually do nothing but but get on the boat and fish.

Thai, I never thought about it, until you mentioned it here, but it might really be interesting to have some different and exotic fish mounted! Please hold the laughter down, but for a while, I fished for carp only. They have great color and do grow large. I've never seen one mounted but I'm sure my taxidermist could do it. I'm going to call him today!

The weather forecast for the first part of next week sounds promising. Let's talk!!

#7 Feb-28-10 4:32AM

Ernie
Administrator

No water = no fish!

That wind on Friday pushed all the water out and gave you a perpetual low tide. Those fishies don't like that.

Great report Andrew!

BTW- in case you wondered how FMR did, I know four guys that went and came back empty handed due to the "unusual low tide".

Time to go fishin' again!

#8 Feb-28-10 2:26PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

i caught plenty yesterday, and a fair sum today. dead stick 1 to 2" grubs. fish them as slow as you can stand, then go slower

#9 Feb-28-10 2:30PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Were you fishing at Hoffmaster's Jeffie?

#10 Feb-28-10 3:04PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

i fished multiple, classified areas in that vicinity

#11 Feb-28-10 3:23PM

Dominion Dan
Patagonian Toothfish

lol, lots of spots to fish from shore on the Occoquan....hahaha

#12 Feb-28-10 4:30PM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

bigjeffie wrote:

i fished multiple, classified areas in that vicinity

Glad to hear it wasn't all bad out there and somebody had some luck. I'm starting othink I'm bad luck sad bigjeffie, did you see us? Shoulda said hi! Be nice to put a face to a name

#13 Feb-28-10 5:27PM

bigjeffie
Patagonian Toothfish

i fish from shore there all of the time. didnt you see all of us guys ?

#14 Feb-28-10 5:35PM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

Wait were you on the launch ramp side?

#15 Mar-01-10 6:42AM

AndrewDo124
Patagonian Toothfish

bigjeffie wrote:

ooh, you were with a group? were you with the guys we asked if they wanted our perch? I saw a few folks on the shore across from the boats but only one fella on the side with the boats. He was fishing in between the boats and the docks, jigging what looked like a grub. Thought that might have been you, but I guess not. Next time you see us, you should say hi! We don't bite (not me at least)!

#16 Mar-01-10 6:48AM

Thai
Northern Snakehead

AndrewDo124 wrote:

bigjeffie wrote:

ooh, you were with a group? were you with the guys we asked if they wanted our perch? I saw a few folks on the shore across from the boats but only one fella on the side with the boats. He was fishing in between the boats and the docks, jigging what looked like a grub. Thought that might have been you, but I guess not. Next time you see us, you should say hi! We don't bite (not me at least)!

No Andrew doesn't bite but he has one mean hookset....

Board footer